New to BYC Family

A Classy Shadow

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
804432FA-4E71-484D-AC10-FACE12955BE4.jpeg
Hi my BYC new friends ,
I’m so excited to have found your website and to finally find out more info about chickens 👏👏
My name is Lisa and I tried so many names to become a part of this BYC family and kept getting the message that the name was already being used 🤔
So I used my horses name
“A Classy Shadow”🤗
I am a huge animal Lover and have been since a child . I now have 4 horses , two dogs , 7 chickens and 6 cats.
Two years ago after having brain aneurysm surgery , I really wanted chickens . They were the best recovery therapy 👏👏 I Love my girls ! They are now two years old. I Had two roosters out of the bunch and had to rehome them 😢
My seven girls now have been one happy family . I know three are black sex links and one a Plymouth rock And one an Australorp and I forget what my beautiful Red Hens breed is. I love spending time with my girls and just to watch and listen to them .
Recently ( one week ago yesterday ) I noticed one of my black sex links acting really different . She was standing in a corner all by herself with her tail straight down and pretty much standing straight up right. She could barely walk . I thought she was possibly egg bound as my black sex links have been my best egg producers out of the bunch .
After much googling and looking up info on the Internet, I had given her a warm Epson salt spa treatment once a day and even sometimes twice a day , gave her calcium , tried Vaseline and mineral oil , etc.
and put her in a large dog crate with lots of fresh bedding .
And brought her in the house so she could stay warm and I could really monitor her And keep her away from the others . At first she wasn’t eating or drinking and seemed very lethargic. I seriously Did not think she would be alive the next morning when I came to check on her. But she chirped and cooed at me as a walked in the room the next
morning and has continued each day to get better.
Fast forwarding to today (one week and one day later ) , I’m wondering if it was more of an injury . She is walking now but with a little bit of a limp and eating well . Even when I would give her her warm bath , she would kinda stretch out her left
wing .
I never realized that chickens can hiss . She would make like a hissing sound when I’d try to give her some pedialite with a syringe into her mouth to keep her hydrated .
I carried her to the big chicken pen to see her siblings today hoping I could put her back in . I know she misses them 😢 At first everyone kind of ignored each other and she was loving it and then one of my other black sex links started a fight with her 😬🙉 Then everyone got in a tussle .
Oh WHAT TO DO ??
I didn’t want her to get re injured So I now have her by herself again .😬 ( right now in a make shift play pen in the yard enjoying some clover and grass and sunshine.
Suggestions Please 🙏🏼
Also ..
How do you go about getting antibiotics for chickens ? 804432FA-4E71-484D-AC10-FACE12955BE4.jpeg

Hello, Lisa, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Can you keep her in a large crate inside your coop or run with the other girls? She's been gone long enough that they don't accept her readily any longer and her ranking has now dropped. After a few days, let her back out with them in a very large open area so she can get away if she can.
If one hen in particular continues to give her trouble, you can also try crating her to knock her down a peg or two in the pecking order.
You can buy antibiotics for fish and use them for your chickens.

Last edited:
Hello, Lisa, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Can you keep her in a large crate inside your coop or run with the other girls? She's been gone long enough that they don't accept her readily any longer and her ranking has now dropped. After a few days, let her back out with them in a very large open area so she can get away if she can.
If one hen in particular continues to give her trouble, you can also try crating her to knock her down a peg or two in the pecking order.
You can buy antibiotics for fish and use them for your chickens.
Thank you so much for the advice 👍 I will try that .

Back
Top Bottom