New to BYC forum and new(ish) to birds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by veggietreeigrl, Jan 13, 2014.

1. veggietreeigrl

veggietreeigrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi everyone![​IMG] I just now joined the BYC forum. I have a little bit of experience with birds as I worked at a rescue ranch part time for a couple years about two years ago. I did basic care of small animals including chickens and turkeys. I have my own mini zoo at my house with dogs, guinea pigs, rats and parakeets. I really don't go looking for more pets they just seem to find me. haha I decided to join this forum, because my silly husband brought home a one-eyed domestic quail.I guess no one else wanted him. To be honest, I had no idea they existed until he brought him home! We have wild quail in our area, but I had never heard of the domestic kind. We've named him Casper and he is in a new cage I had bought for my guinea pigs (never used, I hadn't yet set it up) till we set up a coop or hutch outside. I've been reading up as much as I can about these interesting little creatures. It seems like maybe my little guy is a cotornix (did I spell that right?) Anyway, that's me! I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning a lot.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there[​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

You were close in the spelling...it is Coturnix. Great that you can give this little guy a nice life. Many quail people would have butchered him. You know, Coturnix can make good house pets! They can be very affectionate and snuggly. So you might consider it.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!

I will be in your spot soon, we decided to hatch some quail at the end of this month. Going to be a learning process for me also.

Glad you joined us.

5. veggietreeigrl

veggietreeigrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. [​IMG]

Interesting... I wouldn't think anyone would eat quail as they are so small, but what do I know? hehe
    Yup, I think I will just keep this little guy as a pet. He's so darn cute very sweet and friendly. My husband's cousin's 3 year old daughter was in love with him and would carry him everywhere so he's very used to being held and pet. They just didn't feel they had the space inside and landlord didn't want them building a coop outside so they had to re home him.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] sounds like you have the experience to jump right in and be part of the group of people who can give help or advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by