New to BYC - Hello From Lees Summit, MO

Almost certainly one Rob Binney. =o/ Calls himself a "progressive." Well, we all know what that means, now don't we? Small minded man wants to control what everyone else can do.... with the exception of Wal-Mart. He's FINE with those popping up all over the place. Corporatist pig.

Now onto the culling issue. We have 19 chickens now and looks like 5 are roos. I'm currently groping about for my spine and when I find it, and I WILL find it, I will cull those birds myself. Why? Because it's MY responsibility. I chose to get chickens and I strongly feel that if you don't have the stones to do EVERYTHING involved with owning them then DON'T get them.

Almost certainly one Rob Binney. =o/ Calls himself a "progressive." Well, we all know what that means, now don't we? Small minded man wants to control what everyone else can do.... with the exception of Wal-Mart. He's FINE with those popping up all over the place. Corporatist pig.

Now onto the culling issue. We have 19 chickens now and looks like 5 are roos. I'm currently groping about for my spine and when I find it, and I WILL find it, I will cull those birds myself. Why? Because it's MY responsibility. I chose to get chickens and I strongly feel that if you don't have the stones to do EVERYTHING involved with owning them then DON'T get them.

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

Yes, I am not happy about the Wal Mart since it is going right in my neighborhood. We did not find out about it until it was too late. They met with all the developments (Raintree, etc) but forgot to tell the residents that were agricultural who do not have planned neighborhoods and associations. I really believe their traffic studies are flawed. Why can't they bring in a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes instead?? Wal Mart is the last thing that is needed in that area.

As for the culling, I was fortunate to post two RIR roosters on Craigs List two weeks ago. A family came to pick them up, I asked no questions, and assumed they would be dinner. As we were walking down to the coop the wife told me her husband had a bunch of hens and they needed roosters. I was so relieved!

Good to know that there are folks on Craigslist that might take them. I have another friend dealing with the same issue and I will tell him about that. Thanks!

And we are on the exact same page re: Walmart. I'd love to have a Trader Joe's and don't really understand why LS doesn't pursue them or Whole Foods or another store of that type. Grrr. But we are dealing with the same people that ruined Longview. =o/

Thanks so much for posting the info about the council meeting!

Hey! I'm in Lee's Summit too!! In fact, Animal Control made me move my chickens out right before the whole whirlwind started. What a bunch of crap that was. ANYHOO, Glad to see LS is finally listening to the peeps. (pun intended).

And Amen to the "ruining of Longview" comment.

Ours are actually located in a commercial area and codes enforcement was here in a truck the other day. They haven't said anything to us yet, just pulled in and checked out the situation. I will quote chapter and verse from the existing code. They are WELL beyond 400 feet from the nearest residence.

Back
Top Bottom