New to BYC- Hello!

carolinachickSC

Hatching
Mar 27, 2016
Hello!

My name is Sarah.

I got my first chickens last year when they were about two weeks old. They are now probably about 7 months old.

I am ashamed to say I started out with 22, and now only have 6. They stay at my boyfriends house which has a lot more predators than we'd like to have around our chickens. (any advice welcome on how to keep predators away for our next group of chicks)

We bought Rhode Island Reds, and have been pleased with the eggs! (though not as many as we'd thought they'd lay)

I found out about BYC by googling "chicken forums" :)

My other hobbies include gardening (just in the beginning stages of a garden, also at my bf's place), photography, web design, reading, cooking and sewing.

I am a Quality Professional, so after spending my day in a paperwork filled cubicle I love getting in the dirt and talking to my chickens!

Hi Sarah and
welcome-byc.gif
- glad that you have joined us. Theres a forum on predators and pests which may help you out and cut down your losses.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

Thanks CT! I will definitely check out that post.
And I had no idea there were state specific forums.
This is very helpful, Thanks!

Thanks MinGirl!

We think it was a badger or raccoon. We set a trap and my bf caught something. We havent had trouble since, but a lot of hawks canvas our area so that scares us too.

Back
Top Bottom