New to BYC - Hello!

mumsthesiren

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Two lovely chickens fell into our laps unexpectedly about a week ago. The prior owner said her landlord wouldn't let her keep them, and since we're in a house and have a large property she asked us to take them. She gave us a baggie with food (but said she didn't know the name of it), said they weren't sure on the age but knew they were young and then something about them being made by artificial insemination.. ?? I'm new to being a chicken mummy and would love to know a few things.

1. What does that mean exactly, as far as chickens are concerned... "artificial insemination"?

2. What sort of chickens are they?

3. Male or female?

4. How old do they appear to be?

5. What should I feed them?

Thank you so much for any tips, advice and answers to these questions.
smile.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/productofhippielove/5820155786/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/productofhippielove/5819593353/

Welcome!

You have cute chickies . . . I'd say the black and white speckled one looks like a barred rock chicken -- I have several that looked just like her - she looks like a hen to me. I'm not sure about the white and black little one -- might be an Easter Egger -- we had one that looked like that (we called it Owl) and the puffs on it's face make it look like it might be bearded. It could be a rooster - doesn't have much of a comb, but the tail feathers look a bit longer and curlier. I don't know on that one.

They look about 10 - 12 weeks to me, since they have most of their feathers.

If you go into any feed store and ask for chick starter, that is what they should eat. Just look in your phone book, if you don't know where there is one. I'd think there's be at least one somewhere close. There will also be waterers, feeders, and you can give them grit and extra goodies if you feel like it - I'd think most feed stores should have chick starter. Depending on the weather where you are, they might not need a heat lamp.

As far as the artificial insemination, I have no clue about that. Did she say the eggs were incubated? That just means that they were hatched in a machine, not under a mother hen. Other than that, I don't think it makes a difference -- you take care of baby chicks pretty much the same no matter where they come from.

Hope that helps! There's a lot of good information on this site -- I'm sure they'll be well taken care of.

welcome-byc.gif

You'll be glad you joined. There is a ton of good information here and even more great people to help if you don't see what your looking for.
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure what the white one is, but the black & white one looks just like my barred rock girls. I love the looks of the white one, though. I'd like to know the breed as well.

Good luck with your new babies.

Blessings-
Em

Back
Top Bottom