new to BYC! Help with black minorca?

bcbug1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
Hello All and thank-you in advance to anyone who can ID my "mystery chick". I got 4 x 1 day old chicks from someone who brought them back from McMurray in the US. A cuckoo Marans, EE/Americauna, silver-laced Wyandotte and mystery chick from the rare and unusual breeds (I had wanted another cuckoo Marans, but got this one instead). I was wondering - black Minorca or black copper Marans? The mystery gal is the one on the right. Some photos at 8-9 days below.

Here she is at about 8-9 days old. Clean leg, white butt, bit of white on wing and face - well, you can see the photos...

could be australorp or jersey giant or black copper marans (without feathered shanks) or a few others. What type of comb?
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not sure of comb types. Basically, it doesn't look like the Wyandotte's or the EE's, but is very similar to the Cuckoo Marans in that it's one very narrow pointed ridge. However, I'm not sure it's identical to the cuckoo's - the cuckoos might have a couple small flattish bumps on either side (sort of, but not as noticeable as the Wyandotte's) and the mystery chick doesn't seem to have those. But it's very similar. ...I guess I might have to be patient...
smile.png

It looks like an australorp to me. What color are the bottoms of the feet? There are not any birds in the rare and unusual breeds that would have a chick like this one.

The bottoms of her feet are light grey (lighter than the legs, but not as pink as the toes in the photos).

The woman who I got her from (who got her from McMurrary) said that she was in their rare and unusual breeds order and so had to be black minorca or blue andalusian based on what was listed in their catalogue. However, it lists some examples I believe in the catalogue, but it's not necessarily limited just to the ones listed (was how I read it). I thought she looked like the black Minorca chicks in the video on their website. She is noticebly smaller than the other girls. She attacked them all at first, but now has turned into a sweety.

The bottoms of her feet are light grey (lighter than the legs, but not as pink as the toes in the photos).

The woman who I got her from (who got her from McMurrary) said that she was in their rare and unusual breeds order and so had to be black minorca or blue andalusian based on what was listed in their catalogue. However, it lists some examples I believe in the catalogue, but it's not necessarily limited just to the ones listed (was how I read it). I thought she looked like the black Minorca chicks in the video on their website. She is noticebly smaller than the other girls. She attacked them all at first, but now has turned into a sweety.

It has to be an andalusian. On McMurray's website, Minorca's are not included in the rare and unusual breeds. So it would have to be one of the ones listed on that page. The only one that fits is the andalusian. Only 50% of the Blue Andalusians will be blue. The rest will be black, white, and black/white.

Back
Top Bottom