New to byc...how should I do this??

At this point, like was mentioned before; The barred rocks can be sexed, because its based on the barring, not necessarily combs.
So you can look yourself: Male BRs have wide white/grey barring making them look light, while the females have wide black barring making them look dark. Here's my female BR when she was 5 weeks, and I had her pegged for a pullet when she was 2-3 weeks.
IMG_0325.JPG

So. If and when I do get positive gender on these guys. Say I do have half roo out of each group. If they were bought as pullets...will tsc refund or exchange??

So. If and when I do get positive gender on these guys. Say I do have half roo out of each group. If they were bought as pullets...will tsc refund or exchange??

Not a chance. The only places I know of that will are farmers/breeders that guarantee individual chicks as male or female. Some will do replacements. But TSC doesn't sell year round, its just a promotional thing. So they won't return the bird or the money. The best you can do is either rehome (typically for free) or butcher and enjoy at a certain age.
I said 'for free' because there are so many birds on the market, if you aren't selling pure breeder bloodlines they aren't going to be worth much on a saturated market.

I understand that .Since these are production birds I won't be asking for any money in the roos. I'll give them a chance at a happy home else where...as soon as they crow!! They will be dinner. We bought 3 meat birds this year as well...my daughter thought they were cute...and they are the most vile creatures I've ever layed eyes on. The amount of gross that those things emits is unworldly!!

Be sure to join us on the Maine thread, and if you are a gardener, check out the gardening threads. There are a lot of BYC members in your area. Next time you are doing so many chicks, I strongly advise you to avoid TSC and go direct through the hatchery. You will get a refund on excess roos from the hatchery. But, always check their policy and ask lots of questions before placing an order. If you plan to do a hatchery order in the future, post your questions here, and we'll help you out regarding doing it safely for your best results.

Poultry Nutri Drench is my friend. I won't start chicks without it.

I've been extremely lucky. I use probiotics electrolytes and acv and haven't lost a single chick yet. Except for some blue laced red wyandottes and a couple yokohamas that got stuck in the post office for an extra night .they got a chill and just couldn't kick it. We are getting a lot of 10 straight run blue laced reds from a local breeder. Plus I ordered through McMurray through a lot aubuchon only so I could save on shipping lol. Got 3 light brahmas, 3 black cochins, 3 buttercups, 3 silver leghorns and a couple other things coming as well ...ordered all pullets. We will see what comes in lol.

Be sure to join us on the Maine thread, and if you are a gardener, check out the gardening threads. There are a lot of BYC members in your area. Next time you are doing so many chicks, I strongly advise you to avoid TSC and go direct through the hatchery. You will get a refund on excess roos from the hatchery. But, always check their policy and ask lots of questions before placing an order. If you plan to do a hatchery order in the future, post your questions here, and we'll help you out regarding doing it safely for your best results.

Poultry Nutri Drench is my friend. I won't start chicks without it.
Exactly what I intend on doing in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom