New to BYC Introduction

Rex Mom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Castro Valley,CA
Hello All!

I have joined this forum/site to better educate myself on backyard raising. I currently raise Rex rabbits for show/meat and decided some fresh eggs would be great to have. If anyone is familiar with what the legalities of having a few chickens in Castro Valley, Ca please let me know! I know there are quite a few that do have them around here, just don't want to run into any issues with neighbors. Since I would have hens, noise won't be much of an problem, my only concern would be any smell that my back neighbor might get a wiff of in the summer months. My plan was to have a 8 x 20 area behind the house. This would be for coop and yard. This is my lower yard, behind the base of my back room. It's base is made of cinderblocks... so no smell in my house area. It goes up quite high... it's on the eastern side of the house. Stays pretty shady during the summer. I want to cover the whole chicken yard with a solid surface so when raining they will still be able to walk outdoors. Anyhow... I'm real knowledgable about rabbits, so doing my best to learn all there is about the chickens. I was considering Buff Orpingtons and Barred Cochins.

Thank's for any and all help/suggestions~
Susan

Hello susan first off
welcome-byc.gif
i live in hayward not to far from you lol, but the legislation talks about you can have poultry as long as it is not bothersom to neighbors, so its like they are saying no loud noises like roosters crowing, but if you were going to build a fully enclosed pen then that too will also help cut down on the noise transfer from your chickens and also about the smell if you have a big enough run as to where it does all pile up in one area it will dry out fast here in this part of california and it makes great fertilizer if you do gardening of any kind, just dont get no meat birds all they do is eat drink grow fast and poop alot lol well good luck any idea on where you wanted to begin with what chickens

Welcome! Nothing gives me a more peaceful feeling than watching my happy hens scratch around in their run. I mention this because I thought I understood you were going to have a solid bottom to their entire home.

You may want to take a look at my coop construction. I made it where both doors are accessable without going into the run and it's raised so it's very easy to clean. The slide out bottom makes it even easier and I can replace the bottom piece if it gets rotted or nasty. Since I'm in a hot climate, I made it where I can leave the solid bottom out for maximum ventilation. The nest boxes can be raided from the outside and the food and water can also be filled, cleaned and changed easily.

This way, I can simply rake up the dried poo in the run and it leaves them with dirt to scratch. When it rains, they can get out there and scratch up some worms as well. The link to my site is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=17397
And my personal site is linked below.
Good luck with your endevour. It's VERY rewarding.

Bock, Bock:

Yes, we are practically neighbors! My plan is for only up to 6 large chickens... Buffs and Cochins. I hope the space I'm alloting for will be enough room for them. I'm thinking if maybe I talk to my closest neighbor down below, offer free eggs when they start producing. I know that there is someone on the street down below me that has chickens... a rooster to be exact... my sister also lives in another area of CV and she can hear a rooster from her house... so I know there are all around. If you look on the county website, they say you can't have chickens in a R-1 area... yet if you look across the street from Chabot Elementary they have quite a few chickens... right out in broad daylight. So... I can only hope it will be fine with only a few. I was planning on picking up some chicks next week from Concord Feed. So... wish me luck~

ok good luck i will have more chicks i hatch my self on the 31 of this month i still have 6 left over from my last batch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom