New to BYC, not new to poultry.

Canieldonrad

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Dry Ridge, KY
I am Daniel Conrad, I grew up and still reside in a small community called Dry Ridge, KY located along I-75 just south of Cincinnati, OH. I was born into poultry. My father was the county's 4-H leader and my brother participated in activities at a young age. He gave it up fairly early on, but my father and I continued until I was in High School. My father changed employers and I had changed interests and we decided to get out of the poultry scene. I am now returning with great interest and I plan to make this a lifetime hobby of mine. I have had experience, albeit that was several years ago, with: Chickens, Guineas, Ducks, Pigeons, Turkeys and Geese. Currently I plan to raise Guinea Fowl as well as Buckeyes,which I plan to acquire through Laura Haggarty.

Guineas will be a purely-enjoyment effort. I have always been fond of them and as a kid I had Guineas which were people friendly. I handled them on a daily basis and got them used to exhibit cages. If I end up with show quality birds I may take them out into the world but currently just plan to have them around the house for my own pleasure.

Buckeyes are a different story. I am, at the core, a bit of a perfectionist. I don't usually do things with intention of being content with my work. My mother said, "I've never met a Conrad who does anything in moderation." I am not about to prove my mother wrong, because she is incredibly intelligent. To prove her otherwise would be shameful. That being said, I plan to get chicks from Laura in the coming weeks. However I plan to get into contact with other breeders to get fresh genetics to add in to my birds as well. I don't intend to tinker with crossing other breeds in. I would rather keep them pure and work with the genetics this great bird currently has to offer.

Before getting out of poultry my father and I had a small bunch of Buckeyes. At the time we had ours we never saw many Buckeyes at shows, if any. But having looked over the marvelous wonders of the internet I see the breed has made quite a blossom in the community.

Last edited:

Rich386

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Live Oak, FL
Hi and welcome.
There are a lot of people on her that are first time poultry keepers. There are many that have done it for years. I am sure that you will be able to offer a lot of good advice to a lot of others at BYC.
Rich

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, Daniel, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and your Buckeye breeding program.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
welcome-byc.gif
Chickielady(on Washingtonians thread ) used to raise them. The pictures she posted were gorgeous and she did quite well showing them. So at least I know what they look like.

Top Bottom