New to BYC

Silkies52

Hatching
Dec 27, 2015
Queensland. Australia
Hi. I live in Queensland, Australia. In June this year I became the owner of three Silkies - all pullets. one White, one Buff and one Partridge. Next came another white pullet. Then a Buff Rooster and one of his ladies - a Buff/Partridge hen. Then a Black Rooster. It's like a disease!!!! (I had the same trouble when I started getting fish - one tank turned into 13!!)

Was given some eggs to incubate to delve into colours and breeding. Had seven hatch. One died three days after birth. The other six survived. They are now seven weeks old and eating me out of house and home.

Then I decided to incubate a dozen of my own buff chickens. Unfortunately only three hatched. But they are doing very well and growing rapidly.

I do have a tale of woe... One of the six original chicks (a splash) took a turn for the worse at about two weeks old. She appeared to develop wry neck. I was advised to give her anitone in her water to correct a possible vitamin deficiency. After three weeks she was not much better and I approached BYC for some possible assistance. Through the website I came across an article by a lady who had a wry neck chicken. She made a neck brace out of some soft bubble wrap and that appeared to right the problem. I did this for my chick and it has certainly corrected the wry neck. However, there is another problem that it did not fix. When the chicken gets startled she tucks her head under her body, travels backwards at 90 miles an hour then somersaults back to her feet. It is like she is having an epilectic fit. Can chickens get epilepsy and can it be cured? Or is it better to put her out of her misery?

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard. Hopefully someone will revert with some help with your issue.

Cheers
Ct

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Good luck figuring out what is going on with your bird. I wish I had answers for you.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the links that OrganicFarmWife left with you. Hopefully someone in our Emergency section can help you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your pullet.

Sounds like "silkie syndrome" where the head drops between the legs, they walk backwards, break dance and other odd movements. Sometimes it is a nutritional imbalance and can be helped with Polyvisol infant vitamin drops(NO IRON) 3 drops, 3 times a day - put in the front of the mouth, so she can spit out if she doesn't want to swallow. You can also get vit.E capsules and squeeze out a few drops onto her food. If there is swelling of the brain some vets treat with prednisone. Silkies , especially with vaulted skulls are very prone to brain injury from a peck to the head or a bump or fall.

You can also massage(Gently) the neck and head into the correct position a few times a day. Some birds respond fast and then relapse but, eventually regain normal form and function. Others take longer to respond. Generally - birds do not die from this but, some owners just don't want to bother nursing them along and put then down.

Thanks Drumstick Diva - you have described my chicken's symptoms to a tee!! We have been "putting off" the advice that we have been given to "put her out of her misery" She is a lovely little chook and has become very friendly. We really would like to keep her so we will persevere for a little longer. When you say that they "eventually regain normal form and function", how long is "eventually" and despite what looks very traumatic to us, is it distressing the chook in any way? We don't want her to suffer in any way with the condition.

Back
Top Bottom