New to byc

What do you think? My mom had what she called Bantys when I was young in Wisconsin. Reading on them now they say infrequent layers and small eggs.I recall our eggs being slightly smaller but not much, and I don't remember infrequent laying there always seemed to be plenty when I had the collecting chore! They were tough surviving those winters too!

Bantams lay smaller eggs. I think what it means by infrequent layers is because bantam breeds are more of a pet chicken, broody hens and good mothers. Compared to some of the laying breeds like Sexlink, Leghorn, and Australorp bantams don't really hold much of a competition. Or in my experience they laid well but not as supreme as an egg laying breed. All chickens lay eggs just some better than others.

Bantams lay smaller eggs. I think what it means by infrequent layers is because bantam breeds are more of a pet chicken, broody hens and good mothers. Compared to some of the laying breeds like Sexlink, Leghorn, and Australorp bantams don't really hold much of a competition. Or in my experience they laid well but not as supreme as an egg laying breed. All chickens lay eggs just some better than others.

X2 on Birdrain92's post. Also regarding surviving tough winters, as with standard breeds, it depends on which breed of bantams you have. Many bantams are simply smaller versions of standard sized breeds and like standard breeds some breeds are very cold hardy and others are not so cold hardy.

Hello John!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Hi Jon and welcome to our community. You have some good advice so I'll leave to me saying a big hello.

Good luck

Ct

Back
Top Bottom