New to BYC

saufleyjm

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2016
Virginia
Hey, y'all! I'm new here, and I have a question to start off with. We have an above-ground pool. While I've been intrigued by the possibility of chickens getting in the pool, I also am curious whether the free-ranging chickens could accidentally peck a hole in the side. I already thought about the Ameracaunas flying in, and the suggestion of keeping something in the pool for them to climb up on was a good one. We thought about the possible ladder climb, and everyone is instructed to remove the ladder when the pool isn't in use. But, I don't know if they will peck a hole in the side. Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif
They won't peck a hole in the side, but there have been instances of birds perching on the edge and falling in or landing in the pool after being spooked by something. It is a legitimate concern.

My in laws had a rooster fall in a big stock tank and drown. (My husband was a small child at the time and said it was the happiest day of his life, as this aggressive leghorn was his nemesis.....)
BTW, welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks! I just didn't want to have to replace the pool!! Last year, I didn't let the chickens free range outside of the back yard. Since we have more chickens this year, I expanded their territory!

Chickens don't swim, so if they accidentally fall in or fly in - they will be goners unless they are rescued. I don't know how big your pool is but, if above ground maybe you can surround it with wire fencing - it would keep chickens from pecking it but, I don't think they would even try.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It is unlikely that they will peck at the side of the pool unless there is something on it that they think is edible.

Back
Top Bottom