New To BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lisa81, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Hello,
    I live in Phoenix, AZ and I am new to joining this site but I have used BYC for some very useful information about hatching eggs. Everyone here is very nice and informative. I have hatched 5 out of 7 eggs that are supposed to be 2 Olive Eggers and 3 Black Copper Marans. I also have several other chicks I ordered through MyPetChicken and more I'm waiting on from ChickenScratchPoultry. Those will be Chocolate Orpingtons and Lavender Orpingtons. I am ending up with so many chicks because out or my first order, the Lavender Orpington got her eye pecked by one of the black chicks and she ended up dying since she refused to eat on her own after the incident. That normally would be the end of it but she was for my daughter and she took such good care of her chick while her eye was healing. My daughter is 10 years old, would wake up in the middle of the night to feed her chick and she wouldn't eat until her chick did. Since she surprised me with how well she took care of her chick, I agreed to buy her another one but they are so hard to find and the only place they were still available for a reasonable price required a 16 minimum order.

I am going to be selling the extras since I had to order so many chicks, I just need to get to 20 posts before I can put them up for sale.

Do you guys know if ChickenScratchPoultry is a good breeder, they don't really consider themselves a hatchery and the pictures they have on their site are of some gorgeous Lavender Orpingtons and they are supposedly from the Hink-JC bloodline.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lisa, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Those are some very attractive breeds you are raising. Love how your daughter has taken on the responsibility of it - lots of great lessons to be learned. Sorry - not familiar with that breeder. There is a lavender orp thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq Perhaps someone there has ordered from them and can tell you what they think. Best of luck to you and enjoy BYC!!

3. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    hi and welcome,
    you might try and search out a Arizona thread on BYC, they might know of a breeder in your area and the limit would be lower.
    try selling on craigs list until you get enough posts

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Thank you for your replies! I do have an ad on Craigslist already and I only had 1 reply. Maybe I'm trying to sell them for too much. They are $12 from the breeder and I'm selling them for $15 to help with the shipping cost. Does that seem too high?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't know about pricing but, I think an ad somewhere with photos might do the trick. Some folks may not be familiar with the color/breed

8. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Wish you were closer. :) good luck selling them

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by