New to BYC

samjen10

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
Weston West Virginia
Hey all!

I recently got 4 chickens last weekend. A production, olive egger and two copper maran. It has been a long time since I have owned chickens. Right now we have them in a chicken coop that was bought from tractor supply. Does anyone has any suggestions as to what other foods you have had luck with feeding your chickens? I mix flax and chia seeds in with their food. I have also been giving them bananas and apples. Although I don't think they liked the bananas and apple.

Also, since I keep their feed and straw outside in a big storage container. I was thinking about throwing a few mothballs in the container not in the food container though, but I was wondering if the straw that I keep in there could absorb the mothball smell? Kind of like my clothes do in my cedar chest? And I also read somewhere you could put mothballs on the outside of a coop/run? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Greetings from Kansas, samjen 10, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Are your birds chicks are older? I admit to not knowing much about poultry nutrition but whatever age they are, I think they need a balanced feed made for their age. If they are hens that are laying they need a specially formulated layer feed. I think the things you are giving them is a good supplement but probably is not sufficient for their main ration. Also, I don't know on the moth ball question but to me it would seem they would not be good for chickens. Besides, whatever bugs infest the feed or straw will just be more protein for the chickens. When you have time, take a tour and read some awesome articles in the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
It will get you up to speed on chicken keeping. Best wishes. :)

Thank you! Two of them are older. The two copper maran are to small to start laying yet. I have been giving them scratch mixed with layer crumbles with grit and oyster shells.

Yeah I will probably stay away from the mothballs, I definitely don't want to hurt my girls.

How long have you been raising chickens?

Sounds like you are feeding them right! :) Years ago as a kid a had chickens. Then a long gap and then took up chickens (and turkeys, geese, ducks, and guineas) about 12 years ago. BYC has been very helpful whenever I've had a question.

Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Check out our learning center! It has loads of helpful info!

PLEASE DO NOT use mothballs to keep bugs out of their feed. I know the ingredient in Moth balls is carcinogenic to humans. I wouldn't use it on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom