New to BYC...

GumBranchChick

Songster
Nov 29, 2016
Elberta, AL
Hello! I am new to this forum & super thankful it exists. I've taken care of all sorts of exotic animals, but I'm fairly inexperienced with chickens. At least my own chickens. ;) I was helping watch a friend's farm over the holiday & there were 4 baby chicks, but I noticed one getting picked on pretty badly. I brought him home thanksgiving & have been taking care of him, cleaning his wounds. I'm happy to say he seems to be doing great. I'm very optimistic. They offered me the other 3 chicks also, so at least the little peeper will have some friends! I haven't picked them up yet bc I wanted to give the little dude some time to heal. But I know I'll have Tons of questions as I care for them. I'll try to upload some pics to show progress.

Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. It's a good idea to wait until your chick has fully healed before picking up its mates.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

That's a cutie! Smart to allow healing before getting the others. However, hope your know the reintroduction maybe tricky and you'll need to do it slowly. They've been separated for awhile and the three may start picking on the single again. I've never had to intergrate/reintroduce chickens but from what I've read keep them separated yet within visual distance for a few weeks. Then keep a close watch on their interaction. Good luck...

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us and good luck with your new flock!

That's a cutie!  Smart to allow healing before getting the others.  However, hope your know the reintroduction maybe tricky and you'll need to do it slowly.  They've been separated for awhile and the three may start picking on the single again.  I've never had to intergrate/reintroduce chickens but from what I've read keep them separated yet within visual distance for a few weeks.  Then keep a close watch on their interaction.  Good luck...

Thank you! I've done introductions with lots of different animals, but never chickens. I assumed it would be the same, but it's good to have confirmation.
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom