New to BYC

Baddogron

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
Central Florida
Hi Chicken Lovers,

Fairly new to raising chickens myself. About 35 yrs ago, we had a bunch of chickens that my daughter was in charge of while I took care of the horses, etc. So, I don't remember much about them.
Fast forward to today!
Purchased some pullets at Tractor Supply, here in Florida 3 weeks ago. Immediately began building a coop/run. Not finished yet. Maybe in a few more days. These girls are growing fast. So need to stay on track and get-er-dun!
I started reading about raising these little critters and never realized how many varieties are out there. Like Silkies look amazing.
Kind of sorry I didn't take a little more time to decide what to get. Or build the coop first.
A neighbor offered to give me a few chicks about the same age to add to mine. One black and one brown. No idea what kind they are other than color. But unsure if I can put them together without issues.
Any advice would be helpful.
This is probably the wrong area to ask any questions, but this is my first post to introduce myself.

Greeting from Kansas, Baddogron, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! Questions like yours are fine for you initial BYC post!
The Learning Center and it's many articles will be a great refresher as you re-enter the exciting world of chicken keeping.
Regarding the chicks your neighbor gave you....some will suggest a quarantine so as not to introduce diseases across flocks. This link talks about that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...often-underestimated-part-of-raising-chickens
If you go this route and then integrate your flock, here's a great method: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

And you can touch base with fellow Fl poultry keepers in your state thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

G’Day from down under Baddogron
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello and welcome to BYC! Yes, it's almost mind boggling how many breeds of chickens there are out there. This is how people get wrapped up in chicken math!
wink.png

When you have birds you cannot identify, you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this?" Usually chicks 6-8 weeks are best. Very young ones don't show gender traits.
"

PS if you think silkies look amazing, you should check out the "Showgirls," thread. They are a variety of silkies with a big difference. Some folks think exotic looking.

Back
Top Bottom