New to BYC

MichellePirooz

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
My family has had chickens for almost 5 years, but we recently got our first batch of baby chicks and we are enjoying them.
We have 2 adult hens and 4 baby chicks.
I'm not sure what breed my adults are, but one is all white and she is an awesome layer and they other is an all ginger color. Our chicks are Buff Orpington, Barred rock and Olive eggers.

Our family loves to be outdoors (ski in the winter) play in the water in the summer and come August/September you can always find us at Black Rock City!

In addition to our hens we have a chocolate lab and two cats. My two children ages 7 & 9 love all animals and my daughter goes crazy for puppies and kittens.

I would really love to add a few Ameraucanas to our flock but I haven't figured out how to find them for sale. We live in the bay area if anyone on this site can point me in the right direction!

Michelle

Hi Michelle and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

You can check out the buy/sell/trade forum and see what's for sale, although you must have made 20 posts before you can participate on it.

You can also check out this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...for-posting-pictures-and-discussing-our-birds

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

G’Day from down under Michelle
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello! Im' new to the site too. We have our own first flock of 10, 5 and 6 week old pullets(well 9 pullets, and at least 1 roo...) and I have a few basic questions. Our flock is colorful as each are a differect breed. My first question is reguarding my poor polish. She gets picked on, literally. Ive only seen it happen once but she has a bald spot on her crest where the others peck at her to the point of it bleeding a little.. how do I prevent this? Is it time for a scrunchie?

My second question is now that we have a roo
1f611.png
what do i do? He happens to be the smallest(our only bantam) and most loving of the group and I dont want to get rid of him. I still have to see what the laws are in my city about roosters but our town is known for its chicken population that runs around freely through the historical parts and they often wander into other parts of the city. At what age should I worry about him mating with my hens? How do I prevent mating when it starts?

Thank you all for reading. I can't seem to figure out how to post my own threads so this is my best attempt. Haha

Back
Top Bottom