new to BYC!

Welcome. I have two silkies. I will tell you the pros and cons (as there is with everything):

Pros:
  • Very friendly and chatty
  • Easy to clean up after
  • Very cute and cuddly

Cons:
  • Small, I would not free range
  • Very broody - you have to be prepared for broodiness
  • If you have another standard size flock, they should be separated into their own flock.

Thank you! And I am ^-^ I'd like to get chicks in the future. I'm hoping I can find someone local, since I've heard that shipping eggs and chicks can stress them out a lot (unless I'm wrong-)
It can but, its a good option to consider if you don't find any local eggs. I'm sure there's someone with fertile eggs!
Welcome. I have two silkies. I will tell you the pros and cons (as there is with everything):

Pros:
  • Easy to clean up after
  • Very cute and cuddly

Cons:
  • If you have another standard size flock, they should be separated into their own flock.
also, they like to perch!
i have 1 silkie and I was initially told that they don't perch anything higher than a foot but, my silkie was so determined to perch on a 4ft gate, rain or shine 😂

Pros:
  • Easy to clean up after
  • Very cute and cuddly

Cons:
Ooh, thank you for the info! I was thinking of getting just two myself, so this is good to know :)

It can but, its a good option to consider if you don't find any local eggs. I'm sure there's someone with fertile eggs!

also, they like to perch!
i have 1 silkie and I was initially told that they don't perch anything higher than a foot but, my silkie was so determined to perch on a 4ft gate, rain or shine 😂
I'll make sure to give my silkies something to perch on then XD and thanks! As far as eggs I'll see what/who I can find when the time comes!

Welcome!

I do highly recommend reading up on vaccines for them before committing to a specific course of action. I made the mistake of not researching properly and am really kicking myself for it. From what I understand silkies are very prone to mereks and most backyard breeders don’t vaccinate against it. There are pros and cons both ways but just read up on it and form your own opinion on it.

Welcome!

I do highly recommend reading up on vaccines for them before committing to a specific course of action. I made the mistake of not researching properly and am really kicking myself for it. From what I understand silkies are very prone to mereks and most backyard breeders don’t vaccinate against it. There are pros and cons both ways but just read up on it and form your own opinion on it.
Will do! Thank you for the tip and the welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom