New to BYC..

ashleycharrette

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Traverse City
So I'm incubating 11 ducks eggs... I know your not suppose to candle them when they're on lockdown but I was so scared and worried so I wanted to make sure they're ok. Anyone I believe I have one that has internal pipped... If so is it ok that they've started to pip even though its only day 26 or 27 in lockdown?

I don't know anything about hatching duck eggs but if it is piping it is probably okay because it wouldn't be starting if it wasn't ready. Also with chicken eggs I know it isn't good to open the incubator during lockdown because they need the humidity so they can get out of the egg easier. I don't know how long duck eggs incubate for but when hatching chickens they start to internally pipe before they actually start to hatch. I hope your hatching goes well I'm excited hear what happens!
big_smile.png

I've hatched some pekin eggs and they started pipping on day 26, but they took around 3 days to complete the hatch. So they did hatch when they were due :) Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!

With duck eggs it's better to just leave them and just check on the humidity now and then. They really take up to 3 days to hatch. If you want to watch wait until they've zipped and are completing the hatch. The zipping process also takes awhile, so you'll have plenty warning.

Well I have five that have internal pipped... One that did has grey spots in the outside and when I candled it it looked like it had blood or something.. Do you know what that could be? It was moving and I could hear it.

Well here it is... When I looked this morning it really isn't red anymore but more grey spots on the egg. When I put the egg to my ear and listen I can hear him and it sounds like he's trying to get out so I'm assuming he's ok. What do you think? I know the picture isn't a great one.

It looks fine to me. If he's busy in there it's good. Let's wait until it's pipped externally and then you could maybe have a peek inside that shell and see what's going on in there. It may have broken a small blood vessel as it pipped internally, but it sounds like it's doing o.k.

Well I just got home from work and the grey on the egg has gotten bigger... No external pip... I can hear him peeping and moving but I don't know what I should do ugh :(

Back
Top Bottom