New to BYC

I took him into the bathroom and ran warm water over his side and got that membrane piece off, then I sat him down on some blankets and dried him off with a hair dryer, (on low). I saw that on a post here, and it worked great. Right now he is in a little sock, under my shirt against my chest. I am waiting for the box to heat up enough to put him in there. He is so cute though, I may just hold him a little longer! He is acting a bit better now that he is dry an warm, still falls down every time he tries to stand up. Thank you for all the support!

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like some good emergency chick care there! Glad the little one seems to be doing better. It does take them awhile to get their legs working, so if he just hatched that is pretty normal. Hopefully time will just take care of it. They are incredibly cute aren't they, and so tiny and fluffy, and you could just watch them for hours, that is how people wind up with brooders in the living room instead of using broodies.... guess you are going to be one of those owners who steals chicks from their broodies! :D

Welcome to BYC. It is not unusual for a hen to leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick has hatched. Some hens, especially if they have raised chicks of a certain color, will 'discriminate' against chicks of a different color. If it were me, I would place the newly hatched chicks under the hen after dark and then closely monitor her interaction with the whole brood in the AM. Good luck.

Number 5 is ok now, he is walking fine, eating and very snuggly!

Baby 8 is tiny too, but adorable!

there are 7 now, and a stuffed bird from my daughter lol. 4 more eggs to go. We just took the chicks and put them in a box I had made before for chicks. Thyme just seemed to not be handling motherhood so well. They are all eating, drinking water and seem very happy. :)

They are just adorable! Glad the little guy #5 perked up he looks like he is going to be spoiled, and #8 has neat head markings. Love the little stuffed bird in there watching over them.

That last pic with the stuffed chicken in with the real ones and the little one giving it a stare-down is the best!

Nice to meet you :)

They all very much loved the stuffed bird! All of the babies are doing very well now. They are just the cutest things ever! We love them so much, it is going to be hard to let them go! Both of the dark ones and maybe one of the others will be staying here with us. :)

Hey share that feed!!!! LOL

So hard to stay awake!!!

They spend a good part of their day snuggling!

Awww, they are getting even cuter! The little one that caused the scare just looks so sweet now, and tiny trying not to be napping one is just adorable. Love the little spots on the light colored ones.

Back
Top Bottom