New to BYC

Lavmoon

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Barrow County, GA
Just stopping by to say Hello and tell you a little about me...
When I was a teen my little brother found 2 baby chicks in our neighborhood, we took them in and that was the catalyst for our love of chickens! We have owned several varieties arucanas, buff orphingtons, barred Cochins, RIR, Silkies, Sebright, barnyard specials among others...
I took a break from raising chickens to have children but often went to my mom's to sit for her chickens. We have just purchased our own chicks at the end of March. This time I chose to have a variety but a small flock. We got 8GLW(one had crossed beak and passed :( they were a straight run so we figure that several will be Roos), a buff orphington, a light brahma, a buff brahma, and 3 random bantams(one is a gold sebright, one I think is a Japanese, and the other is beautiful but I'm not sure what it is maybe OEG) leaving our flock at 13 birds. This is my first time with brahmas and GLW.
My family worked together to build a large run and a small coop. I have 3 children, one with a high functioning form of autism. He loves animals and has taken to chick raising like a little momma hen.
I found this site when looking up info about crossed beak when at 2 weeks our most friendly GLW developed it :( she sadly passed even though we made accommodations for her and even dropper fed her(yes I know it should have been culled, but it is hard for me to see special needs and not automatically do everything I can to help).
I am loving this site with all the information and experience available from all over, although I am still learning how to post.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Sorry about your cross beak. Sometimes they are able to survive and other times not. There is an entire thread on caring for a cross beak in our archives that you may have come across while doing research.

But your flock looks great! They look so comfortable under that little tree.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You have pretty little flock, hope you have lots of girls in the straight run chicks. So sorry about the chick you lost, sometimes the cross beaks just get so bad there is nothing you can do to help.

Back
Top Bottom