New to BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mmartis13, Nov 17, 2014.

1. mmartis13

mmartis13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello all! I've seen this forum on google searches before, and used information I've found on here for past chicken ailments. Figured it was time to join!

I've owned chickens for almost 2 years, and have already been through a full flock thanks to a predatory Labrador puppy that I miscalculated :-(

My previous flock was a Barred Rock named Nellie, she was my absolute favorite. She is the one pictured in my avatar. I called her my "snuggle chicken". Also, 3 Americauna, a Black Sex-Link, and a Rhode Island Red named Lucy. Lucy is the only chicken from my original flock that I still have.

After the "Accident", I rebuilt the coop, reinforced the border with concrete, and started again. My current flock consists of the original RIR, Lucy, who is almost 2 years old and still gives me an egg a day. About a week and a half ago, I picked up a Silver Laced Wyandotte that has just reached laying age about a month ago, a Phoenix, a Buff Orpington, and a black and white Americauna that all should start laying in about a month or so as I was told by the gal I bought them from. I also had another little Barred Rock, but she came home with a very odd neurological issue, or so I believe. I only had her about 5 days before she passed, and I only noticed something was terribly wrong the last day and a half.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a part of the online community, and I do have a few questions for the seasoned chicken keepers out there!

First question: last week, I *thought* i had received my first egg from my little Silver laced Wyandotte, Lacey. I found a tiny cream colored egg in the nest box, and knew the gal told em she was already laying. The next day, I found another, and the next day I found a tiny brown egg. So that made me do a little research. From what I found, the brown egg should have been from the Wyandotte, so are the tiny cream eggs from the Phoenix possibly? From what I found out, they are a smaller breed, and lay smaller eggs. These are two new breeds to me..

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the poultry community of BYC. Eggs of markedly different coloration to me would indicate that two hens are laying.

1 person likes this.
  3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Welcome to the fourm!!! We are glad to have you! :)

I'm sorry for your loss :(

You are right, the brown one came from the wyandotte and the cream ones came from the phoenix. The wyandottes eggs should get bigger too, mine give medium eggs. Good luck!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your losses to your Laborador puppy. Dogs and chickens do not usually mix well. We receive a lot of posts from new members who are horrified because their seemingly benign dog (sometimes even small ones like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly decided to chase and kill their chickens. Once a dog has done this, it is next to impossible to break the dog from doing it again. X2 on cityfarmer12's comments on your eggs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. Most dogs, no matter how sweet see chickens as dinner.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. mmartis13

Nov 17, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!!! I'm excited to be a part of your group :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]It sounds like you current flock is doing well, though!

The Wyandotte or Buff Orpington could be laying your brown egg. It is likely that the Phoenix is laying the small cream colored egg.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

The brown egg isn't neccesarily from your Wyandotte. The Buff Orpington would lay brown eggs as well. But, the creamy colored egg is almost certainly from your Phoenix.

10. mmartis13

Nov 17, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys! I just assumed it was the Wyandotte because I knew she was laying age, and the other newbies weren't supposed to be laying for another month or so. The gal I bought them from said they were all around the same age, about 12-16 weeks .That's why I was so surprised to find out the Phoenix could be laying them!! My last flock didn't give me eggs until close to 24 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by