New to BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AuntJessie, Jan 2, 2015.

1. AuntJessie

AuntJessie Out Of The Brooder

Hey y'all! I'm new to the site, but I've been lurking for a while now lol. I finally convinced DH that chickens are a good thing, and we will be building our coop soon! I plan on getting either red star sex links or buff orpingtons. My family always had chickens and boer goats, so I'm excited to be getting my own flock!

2. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! And welcome to BYC! Feel free to ask any questions there are a lot of experienced chicken and herd experts on this sight they will be happy to help you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Red sex links and buff orpingtons are great chickens to keep that should produce you plenty of eggs. This link is an excellent section of the learning centre for getting started in your chicken journey https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Wishing you the very best of luck with your future chicken journey and hope you enjoy BYC, everyone here to help you along the way :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG] From Australia

1 person likes this.
  5. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hello, [​IMG] and have a happy New Year!

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised both Red Sex Links and Buff Orpingtons (still have BOs in my flock), and they are both great chickens. Red Sex Links are hardy, egg laying machines. Along with my Black Sex Links (another hybrid definitely worth considering for your flock), they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you get sex links, you will get loads of eggs from those girls. Buff Orpingtons are very cold hardy, friendly and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, and Happy New Year

1 person likes this.
  10. dragon30276