New to byc

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lauramichelle, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Lauramichelle

Lauramichelle New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Can some one experienced with prolapsed vents help me out with the care of this.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
  3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome! You should put this on the Emergencies injury forum. They will help you there.

4. Lauramichelle

Lauramichelle New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    I have posted there regarding two chickens, one has since passed. Haven't got a reply so I though I would post here as I am new to this site as of today. Just need some help!

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I just put prolapsed vent in the search area and quite a few articles came up. Most of them say to clean the vent area and use hemorrhoid ointment without pain relief to reduce the swelling.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Lauramichelle

Lauramichelle New Egg

Jan 12, 2015
    Thank you for all the welcomes. I think we have got the info needed. Thank you everyone!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As long as she has not been prolapsed too long, you can save her. Get her cleaned up push all her insides back inside. Use the prep H on her vent and inside too to reduce the swelling. Keep her by herself. The others will pick her to death. You will also need to get her to stop laying so she can heal. So keep her in a semi darkened area, only 8 hours of dim light a day. The rest darkness. This should stop the laying. Keep her like this until she is completely healed.

You will probably need to reintroduce her to the flock slowly from a cage or enclosure within the coop and run. The flock will no doubt have forgotten her. Leave her caged for about 3 weeks and then you can mix her back in. Watch for any aggression and always intervene if it turns bloody. Put out more food and water stations for a while so you know she is eating.

Good luck and I hope you can save her!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by