New to chicken and ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchicksnducks, May 19, 2009.

1. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the welcome! I'm new to the feathered world. My pre-vet 19 yr old college daughter and wanna-be farmer 14 yr old son convinced us to add chickens and ducks to our 2 acre property. We also have 1 golden retreiver 2 cats (one came to dinner 4 years ago and never left ) plus fish. I run a home day care with children newborn through 1st grade. My husband has revamped our childrens club house (8x8) and we hope to move our 7 week old Khaki Campbell ducks (female) and 3 week old Americauna pullets in soon (pullets when older though). Hopefully they will be able to live in the same coop...if not we may have to put an addition on! Any info on them living together would be appreciated!

2. turducken

turducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    We have ducks and chickens. Every now and then the ducks will grab a chicken by the tail feathers and move them if they dont clear out of the way from blocking the pool. But for the most part they all get along.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG] from the UK

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Imp

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from NJ We have duck and guineas housed together with no problem until the guineas eggs laying season started and our male guinea began attacking our drake. We just started with chickens, so I can't answer how well they will get along. They are a lot of fun though. Enjoy!

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

9. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello! [​IMG] from Hereford AZ!
    I think they will be fine. [​IMG] We have a few of our chickens with our ducks. [​IMG]

10. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    [​IMG]

Hello! A warm welcome to you from central Ohio!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by