New to chicken babies!

jbenttinen

Hatching
6 Years
May 14, 2013
I've been reading on here all day. The best coops, the best nesting boxes, free range or coop'd...roosters that were supposed to be hens. I even had to look up what you all meant when you were talking about the gals getting "broody". so much to learn!!! I'm overwhelmed. (And embarrassed)

As my new babies get heir wings...I'll be working on converting the shed to the new coop this weekend. So much to consider. I'd love to let them roam...but the hawks fly over hourly. :(

And...I'm kinda bummed that it sounds like you all have love bugs for hens...and mine run like mad from me. How do I turn hat around? I want them to love and trust.

Greetings from Kansas, jbenttinen, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Happy you have found BYC useful! Good luck and have fun!

welcome-byc.gif
the best way to a chickens heart is thru their stomach. They love treats and tend to love the bearer of treats. Try some watermelon or black oil sunflower seeds, or boiled mashed egg yolks, plain yogurt etc. Whistle or shake seeds in a can so they associate good things and you, with the noise. Pretty soon they will be rushing to see what you have. In doing so they get familiar with you and often will start exploring your lap, shoulders, head

Drumstick Diva hit the nail on the head...follow his advice and soon they will be chasing you. I might add to try to make them take it from your hand as well. Get a bucket, sit down on a bucket in the run and they will calm down and come close. Move slowly as you hold your treat out. Good luck!

I don't even have to give treats to my young girls. Just spend at least 10 minutes a day with your hens, move slowly when you go into their coop, and just let them be. I've had quite a few pullets that were skittish, noisy, and flighty turn into angels as soon as they reached laying age and allow me to pick them up with no training whatsoever. It often depends on the individual hen.

And don't stress too much about rules and specifications. You will learn and grow along with your chickens! As long as they have food, water, and shelter, you are doing okay.

don't feel too bad, mine aren't particularly friendly either. of course, i haven't really put the effort into it yet. and i haven't even named mine
hmm.png
to be honest, i can't tell mine apart (in each breed, anyway. the three breeds are pretty easy
roll.png
)

but welcome and hopefully you will find answers to all of your questions here (and probably to some you didn't even know to have yet
big_smile.png

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm soooo excited to get the coop done this weekend and get the into their new home!

Back
Top Bottom