New to chicken farming

Desert Lizard

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Nevada
Hello. I am so glad that my lovely sister recommended this site to me. There is a TON of helpful information. Yesterday, I picked up 3 pullets for future egg laying. I chose one Buff Orpington, one Australorp and one Ameraucana. My hubby and I built a pen for them, but I'm sure there are improvements to be made. I will post a picture below. Any suggestions? I will be moving the food and water out from under the roost, since the flooring is wire, but it was a quick fix to get it up off the ground. I want to do what's right for my girls, and I would like for them to be as happy as possible. I'm thinking that I should put a door on the roost, so I can close it up. What do you guys think? Any tips are much appreciated.
smile.png
Oh, the pen is approx 15' x 10' x 6'. Also, should the nests be elevated? And, will the pullets know when to move out of the nesting boxes and sleep in the roost? Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png
I'd encourage them to not sleep in the nestboxes at all. You can place them on the roost each night and after a while they should get the point that they should be sleeping on their roosts!

My girls do not want to sleep in the roost. Should I take out the nesting boxes and enclose the roost? They don't need the nests for a while anyway.

Back
Top Bottom