New to chicken raising

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leaDD08, Jul 16, 2016.

1. leaDD08

leaDD08 New Egg

Jul 16, 2016
    Hi,
    This is my first flock. I wasn't sure I'd like them, but we really do. 4 hens and a bantam roo. The roo is starting to be more aggressive. He chases the ladies and pulls them by their wings and head :( the ladies have started just roosting high up most of the day (bc he can't get up to them that way) and I'm afraid they are not getting the water they need. They look miserable up there. Any suggestions?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest giving your roo a time out for a while, to give your girls a break and maybe let him cool his hormones.

Ct

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X2 Never let an aggressive rooster terrorize the hens. Some aggressive roos have been known to kill hens. So be very careful with him. If you aren't interested in fertile eggs, then maybe don't keep a rooster. The hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs, and the hens are much less stressed without one in the coop. Many hens lay more eggs without a rooster bothering them.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Most roosters can handle 10 hens, so 4 are going to be overbred. If they aren't drinking enough, they also may be eating less because he will jump them.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got good advice from the above posters. Best of luck!

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ditch that rooster. Find someone who wants a good meal and say bye bye to his sorry tail. Some people will say that a rooster can grow out of this behavior, but there's no good reason to keep a cockerel who EVER, even once was aggressive towards his hens, when there are so many good roosters out there looking for homes, who would never hurt a hen in their life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by