New to chicken raising

leaDD08

Hatching
Jul 16, 2016
Hi,
This is my first flock. I wasn't sure I'd like them, but we really do. 4 hens and a bantam roo. The roo is starting to be more aggressive. He chases the ladies and pulls them by their wings and head :( the ladies have started just roosting high up most of the day (bc he can't get up to them that way) and I'm afraid they are not getting the water they need. They look miserable up there. Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest giving your roo a time out for a while, to give your girls a break and maybe let him cool his hormones.

Ct

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 Never let an aggressive rooster terrorize the hens. Some aggressive roos have been known to kill hens. So be very careful with him. If you aren't interested in fertile eggs, then maybe don't keep a rooster. The hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs, and the hens are much less stressed without one in the coop. Many hens lay more eggs without a rooster bothering them.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Most roosters can handle 10 hens, so 4 are going to be overbred. If they aren't drinking enough, they also may be eating less because he will jump them.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got good advice from the above posters. Best of luck!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ditch that rooster. Find someone who wants a good meal and say bye bye to his sorry tail. Some people will say that a rooster can grow out of this behavior, but there's no good reason to keep a cockerel who EVER, even once was aggressive towards his hens, when there are so many good roosters out there looking for homes, who would never hurt a hen in their life.

Back
Top Bottom