New to chicken raising

Hereachick1

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014

Hello, this is my foray into raising chicks. I did incubate some chicks with my students one year. I have six chicks and a bantam coming this week. I am in a bind because I need a larger coop than I bought. I am pretty ready for the big day other wise.

welcome-byc.gif
Do you mean cooper or brooder for young chicks? A brooder can even be made from a large cardboard box or usually a large Rubbermaid tote using a wire top to keep chicks in and family pets OUT.

If you need an actual cook - could you use part of a shed are garage until you have one? What people call "chicken tractors," aren't too hard to construct and will do in a pinch.

Hang on more advice is sure to start coming in.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, a brooder can be made of almost anything, with the coop, at least you have some time since they won't be ready to use it for a month or more. Be sure to check out the BYC Coops section and you might do a search into pallet coops, they are popular since they are usually made out of scrap wood and can be any size and as plain or fancy as you want. iehttp://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550804/pallet-chicken-coop-ideas

images

Welcome to BYC!

X3. You can make a brooder out of anything as long as it has a solid floor, and solid walls. Definitely stop by our coops pages for hints on building a coop for your new flock

Welcome to our flock and enjoy your new adventure!

Back
Top Bottom