New to chicken world

JaimeW

Chirping
Oct 30, 2019
our family is new to chickens and it has been quite an experience already. Got our first 5 hens (not hens) in May and found out we had 3 roosters and 2 hens. did some switching (a few times) but we are now successfully rooster free and have 6 hens. We have 5 white Orpingtons and 1 mixed-not-so-sure hen. The Orp's are 6 months and the mix is about 5 months.

We are still waiting for eggs and our hens are super super scared of us. We try daily to interact with them and keep them on the same schedule so they know what to expect.

Any advice on getting them more comfortable with us would be great.

We live in Northeast so winter is coming quickly. The girls have a small coop with attached run but are allowed to room our yard (fenced 1/2 acre) daily. Thankfully they all get along really well and come back to coop at night without help.

Thanks in advance

7708CFD2-C809-4DE3-B861-4E3E33594D90.jpeg

our family is new to chickens and it has been quite an experience already. Got our first 5 hens (not hens) in May and found out we had 3 roosters and 2 hens. did some switching (a few times) but we are now successfully rooster free and have 6 hens. We have 5 white Orpingtons and 1 mixed-not-so-sure hen. The Orp's are 6 months and the mix is about 5 months.

We are still waiting for eggs and our hens are super super scared of us. We try daily to interact with them and keep them on the same schedule so they know what to expect.

Any advice on getting them more comfortable with us would be great.

We live in Northeast so winter is coming quickly. The girls have a small coop with attached run but are allowed to room our yard (fenced 1/2 acre) daily. Thankfully they all get along really well and come back to coop at night without help.

Thanks in advance
Hiya! Welcome to BYC, we're glad to have you here! :welcome

I sort of had the same problem that you did when we first got our hens. When they were pullets, and around your hens' age, they weren't very nice or acclimated to us.

There are some stories, including when they ate both of my diamond earrings, but we'll skip those. When they get older, it's likely they will be friendlier. Especially Orps, from what I've heard.
I sit down with them and hold them daily. The more you do it, the more friendly they will be. Don't you worry! :)

Make yourself at home, and don't be afraid to ask questions! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom