New to chicken world

We only have a few hens so I wanted to make sure the inside coop space wasn't overly large so they could keep warm:) The store markets it for like 10-12 birds but if fits these 6 just perfectly - anymore would be cramped.
It doesn't work that way.
You need 3-4 sq feet per bird in the coop MINIMUM and 10 sq feet per bird in the run MINIMUM. I personally feel that is too small. Any less, is cramped.
Thinking that their little bodies will warm each other up in a smaller area is thinking like a mammal, for which you cannot be faulted! However, chickens are avian. They are little walking blast furnaces with thick down coats. As long as their feathers are not blowing open with a draft, all that heat stays trapped inside and they are nice and toasty. Excess birds in a space too small for them will lead to behavioral issues, moisture build up and increased potential for frostbite, and the chickens getting cold because of the damp air. Another issue the pre-fabs are also notorious for is being sorely lacking in ventilation. Birds NEED fresh, clean, DRY air. THAT is what keeps them warm in the winter.

Saratoga County:)
It doesn't work that way.
You need 3-4 sq feet per bird in the coop MINIMUM and 10 sq feet per bird in the run MINIMUM. I personally feel that is too small. Any less, is cramped.
Thinking that their little bodies will warm each other up in a smaller area is thinking like a mammal, for which you cannot be faulted! However, chickens are avian. They are little walking blast furnaces with thick down coats. As long as their feathers are not blowing open with a draft, all that heat stays trapped inside and they are nice and toasty. Excess birds in a space too small for them will lead to behavioral issues, moisture build up and increased potential for frostbite, and the chickens getting cold because of the damp air. Another issue the pre-fabs are also notorious for is being sorely lacking in ventilation. Birds NEED fresh, clean, DRY air. THAT is what keeps them warm in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom