New to Chickens 2021

Hi everyone. I started my chicken adventure Spring 2021. I bought a couple of straight runs from Tractor Supply of Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Light Brahamas, Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, and Golden Laced Wyondettes. I culled out a number of them (gave them to an Amish farmer friend) and I kept 15 hens (4 Buffs, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 leghorns, 3 light brahmas, 1 RI Red, 1 barred rock) and 2 roosters (Buff Orpington/Light Brahama).

I converted a shed with a concrete floor into my coop and put a permanent enclosure attached to it. I used electric mesh to create a pasture for the chickens to run around. This fall I shifted the pasture over to cover where the garden was. The chickens are doing a good job of "plowing."

My cats are curious about the chickens from the beginning, but neither side bothers the other.

So far my head rooster is not being aggressive with me or people so far. The boss man does chase the other rooster, and will knock him off a hen "in the act". They don't fight, the Braham runs from him, but sneaks in mating when he can. Boss rooster will peck at me when I hold one of the girls (jealous I think). I have fed the chickens since they were young by hand and used a blue bowl. They come when I call them now.

I let the flock out for 1-2 hrs a day before dark to free range in the yard. Night comes, they troop back into the coop. I have a 1 acre property, and most of the time they stay close to home. I want to eventually build some permanent fencing, and create more pastures with electric I can rotate them around the property.

I have one hen that went broody and hatched out 4 chicks. I posted on the broody hen thread.

I'm having a blast with them. Down the road I'd be interested in getting better quality birds and do some showing/breeding. It's great hobby. I share the eggs with my neighborhood!

I've posted pictures of the journey so far!
Hi everyone. I had a broody hen hatch out 4 chicks. I kept them inside for 2 weeks, then moved them to the coop in a 4x4 cage with mom. A week later I let them loose. Their chick feed is in the cage (open that chicks can get in and out). Most of the time they run around with momma. The flock has accepted them. Roosters are protective. Woe to the hen that pecks at momma's babies!

Attachments

• chicks_outside.jpg
    chicks_outside.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom