New to chickens - already built coop - tell me what's wrong (or right) - Florida

NEW CONCERN & UPDATE:
Newest issue is the roost on this open air coop and how the birds are all crowding/piling up on the open air end to have a "window seat" at night.

We built the roost on the closed wall. Coop is 10 x 10 with 6 exterior nesting boxes on the backside. I experimented with and wanted to keep poop boards using dog crate pans prior to the roost bar build. I ended up going with this:

NUMBER OF BIRDS: 8 (including one cochin) 14 WEEKS OLD CURRENTLY:

- 6' x 2' box/table that is suspended from 2x4's mounted to the ceiling rafters
- two poop trays on top of the suspended box/table with pdz (sooooo easy!)
- table is high enough so I don't have to bend over a lot and roost bar is 3' off floor
- roost bar is 21" from back wall (nice cypress wood that I don't want all poop splattered)
- roost bar was going to be 6' to match the table, but I experimented with leaving it at 8'

I experimented with the 8' roost because after figuring out my design I kept reading that more space should be allowed per bird. I also added a little mini roost with a 2"x2" strip that spans the underside of the 6' box. That bar is 1' off the floor. I was primarily thinking about the cochin on that one.

My thinking> keep the roost bar on the unexposed wall for potential bad weather. In the photos attached you'll see I have a tarp covering the back wall with the nesting boxes right now because it has been below freezing and windy for the past few nights here in northeast florida. Also the nest boxes are still closed off because of their age.

But - what happens, including these cold nights - is all the birds fight like crazy to have the "window seat". I'm thinking that overhang is now dangerous. I saw one of the birds fall off last night and hit the hardware cloth exterior. I think that was a major fail.

But before I cut it off, I wanted to run this by the experienced folks here for more opinions.
- Will 6' be enough of a roost bar with 8 birds?
- Is there anything I can do to stop the major pile up at the exposed end in the evening?

Other options being considered:
- Close off one or two of the nesting boxes so to keep the roost bar longer than 6'
- Make a double rail roost bar, which would likely require another table

Any thoughts?

By way of an update, we now have a nice 10'x16' run attached to the coop with a pop door for entry. Predator apron all the way around exterior which is dug down a few inches around the coop and left exposed around the run.

As always - thanks for any help! This forum is amazing!!

Attachments

• coop - inside view.jpg
    coop - inside view.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 11
  • coop - roost view.jpg
    coop - roost view.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 11
  • coop -back wall nests.jpg
    coop -back wall nests.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • coop - overhang.jpg
    coop - overhang.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 10
  • coop - exterior.jpg
    coop - exterior.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Why put the chicks out after a few days? They will need supplemental heat, even in FL. Also, a weasel or snake can easily climb in through the wire that's above the hardware cloth and into the dog kennels. I'd keep them inside at least until they're feathered and odd of heat and a bit bigger.

Why put the chicks out after a few days? They will need supplemental heat, even in FL. Also, a weasel or snake can easily climb in through the wire that's above the hardware cloth and into the dog kennels. I'd keep them inside at least until they're feathered and odd of heat and a bit bigger.

This thread has been going for a while--today's update said the chicks are 14 weeks old :)

This thread has been going for a while--today's update said the chicks are 14 weeks old :)
Hey there, I was working on the coop before I received the chicks. I received them as day old chicks from Meyer the last week of October. Nervous new mom preparations. I ended up keeping them inside for three weeks and put them in the coop in a double dog crate brooder for another three. They have been out of the dog crates since then and using a temporary roost bar situation. They have all taken well to things, even with an extra cold winter in Florida terms. I've just been surprised at their determination to be by the open air side even when it's windy and cold.

Hey there, I was working on the coop before I received the chicks. I received them as day old chicks from Meyer the last week of October. Nervous new mom preparations. I ended up keeping them inside for three weeks and put them in the coop in a double dog crate brooder for another three. They have been out of the dog crates since then and using a temporary roost bar situation. They have all taken well to things, even with an extra cold winter in Florida terms. I've just been surprised at their determination to be by the open air side even when it's windy and cold.
Oh, and I did use a modified version of mamma heating pad for a while.

But before I cut it off, I wanted to run this by the experienced folks here for more opinions.
- Will 6' be enough of a roost bar with 8 birds?
- Is there anything I can do to stop the major pile up at the exposed end in the evening?

Other options being considered:
- Close off one or two of the nesting boxes so to keep the roost bar longer than 6'
- Make a double rail roost bar, which would likely require another table
6' is probably fine if they all get along. 8' would be better, but I have 10 hens trying to stuff themselves on a 5.5' bar, so what do I know. :p If you end up adding more birds in the future, I'd consider adding a second roost at that point.

Many birds do seem to prefer a "window seat" and I know that's usually where my birds are fussing the most, since everyone wants to sit next to the windows

I find it better to have 2 roost bars. Sometimes they have 'issues' with each other and giving one a separate bar to get on can be helpful to prevent quarrels. Also there's the late comer to the roosting party who tries to hop up in the dark, and ends up knocking 2 others off the roost in the quickly setting dark. Drama WILL ensue!! If it's warm out, they like a little room between each other, but when it's cold out I find they like to get in closer quarters to each other. A second bar wont hurt and can absolutely help in some situations. If they want to be close, they'll get close, if they want some distance for whatever reason, it's available.

Aaron

6' is probably fine if they all get along. 8' would be better, but I have 10 hens trying to stuff themselves on a 5.5' bar, so what do I know. :p If you end up adding more birds in the future, I'd consider adding a second roost at that point.

Many birds do seem to prefer a "window seat" and I know that's usually where my birds are fussing the most, since everyone wants to sit next to the windows
Yeah, I think I'm learning that it's a lot like siblings. I come from a family of six. We, too, also fought like mad over snacks and window seats.

Back
Top Bottom