New to chickens and BYC.

drobilla

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
We have 5 chantecler chicks that are 5 weeks old today. I have been looking at this site for some tips for a little over a month. I suspect we will fall prey to "chicken math' soon... ;)

My wife and I have a son (13), a small Havanese dog, 1 canary (great signer) and 5 chickens for now. My son is great with the chickens; he can carry one of them around and it will sit still in his hand or lap.

I am interested as to what breed would be recommended to add to our flock. We are wanting laying hens and not meat birds. We live in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks,
IMG_0642.JPG

Hello,

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Nice to meet you, my name is Kaitlyn, my friends call me K. Glad you joined! If you would like my suggestion of breed, I'd say New Hampshire red's or Buff Orpington's. Looks like you have a wonderful little flock already! Make yourself at "roost". Have a good evening.

Sincerely,
-K

Chanticleers were bred in Canada to withstand the weather extremes, they do come in other colors and are a very hardy breed. Please visit "Canadians, check in here." to hopefully find other Bycers in your area.

Back
Top Bottom