New to chickens and hens not laying well.

ShackPapa

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
We are new to raising chickens and our birds are not laying well at all.
We have 4 hens: 1 RIR, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 2 Comets. The SLW lays an egg nearly every day and the RIR about 3 a week. The comets lay very sporadically. We get maybe a dozen a week total if we are lucky.

We have had the girls for about 3 weeks and things are not getting any better. They came from an overcrowded flock and some are missing feathers so I'm sure they were stressed. We were told that they are all about 14 months old.

We let them free-range during the day, but Purina laying pellets and oyster shell is always available and they appear to eat well.

Any suggestions? Do we just need to wait ? The RIR and SLW will eat corn our of our hands, so they seem to have settled in.

it depends on what ur feeding them. i feed mine high protein food , or maybe they havnt settled in yet
hmm.png

I am new to this too and am super anxious about when my new hens will start laying (and where). I have had my girls for about 10 days and every day I think will be the day, but not yet... I have 3 RIR.

Me too, so anxious. We have had only one egg without a shell from the 3 girls. Every day I hope but nothing
sad.png
They are fed laying pellets and oyster shell bus scraps. They are spoiled shickens. One is also missing feathers. I have no idea how old they are but the person that we got them from said they were young
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom