7 chickens 1 egg a day

rderrick1210

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2023
Hello, we have had chickens for about 2.5 years now and never had any egg production issue. Always got almost an egg a day.. 6 eggs a week per bird roughly.. that’s in the summer on Pittsburgh.. winter we still got a couple of eggs a day. Currently only 1 is laying since September 9th when a hawk attacked a hen in the flock. The chickens free range in the day. We have 7 adult chickens in the coop (4x6) with an attatched 4x10 run. Being that they free range and I let them out around 8-9 am I never had an issue with the coop run on the smaller side. I recently added an additional 10x10 run. Still no changes in egg production.. they eat all our scraps and tractor supply pellet feed and seem very healthy… we have a leghorn, silver laced couple comets, iso brown, black astra.. the oldest ones are 3 and the youngest a year. Any help is appreciated thanks

:welcome It's normal for the older birds to take a break in their laying cycle if they are 2.5 to 3 years old. Some of the high production breeds have passed their prime laying periods.
Hello, 3/7 of them are 3 the other 4 are just over a year. Strange they would all take a break at the same time. We do have 1 hen going strong though.

Hello, we have had chickens for about 2.5 years now and never had any egg production issue. Always got almost an egg a day.. 6 eggs a week per bird roughly.. that’s in the summer on Pittsburgh.. winter we still got a couple of eggs a day. Currently only 1 is laying since September 9th when a hawk attacked a hen in the flock. The chickens free range in the day. We have 7 adult chickens in the coop (4x6) with an attatched 4x10 run. Being that they free range and I let them out around 8-9 am I never had an issue with the coop run on the smaller side. I recently added an additional 10x10 run. Still no changes in egg production.. they eat all our scraps and tractor supply pellet feed and seem very healthy… we have a leghorn, silver laced couple comets, iso brown, black astra.. the oldest ones are 3 and the youngest a year. Any help is appreciated thanks
It's just these short days till Feb. This is why I tried waterglassing because I had to buy grocery store eggs one year in winter :confused::eek:. Yuck.

Hello, 3/7 of them are 3 the other 4 are just over a year. Strange they would all take a break at the same time. We do have 1 hen going strong though.
Not really. The hormones that controls laying aren't released by the pituitary gland unless there's at least 14 hours of day light. Most birds take winter breaks

Back
Top Bottom