7 chickens 1st year pullets only getting 1 egg/day

Nelson3

Hatching
Oct 22, 2023
I've had these 7 chickens since they were a couple months old. They are now coming up on 9months of age. When they started laying I was getting 5 to 6 eggs a day. Now I am only getting 1 egg a day since Wednesday. They free range during the day and roost in coop at night. I've checked all the spots in the yard they hang out to see if they are laying in other areas. They have always layed in the nesting boxes in coop though. I've left them in coop for a day and a half now and still only 1 egg a day. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What's your weather like now?
What breed are they?
Is the flock getting along with zero issues?

Stress, seasonal changes, molt, injuries, diseases and the quality of the feed can affect there abilities to lay consistently.

55 to 75 on temp
3 leghorn, 2 RIR, 1 Wyandotte, 1 barred rock
Flock gets along great and great with people. No stress, injury, or disease that we know of. Feed has stayed consistent with 17% protein. Is that enough? Season is changing and I do see more feathers than normal so it may be time for molting. I hope that is it! Thank you for the reply!

1 year old chickens go through a mini molt to prepare there body for winter. But even that can impact on egg production.

If your seeing a lot feathers the ground, give them some canned fish or buy 20% high protein feed during there feather loss stage to prevent them from extending there molt.

Back
Top Bottom