New to chickens and lots of questions!

madisoncarthel

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
Hi I am new to backyard chickens and have a lot of questions. My hens have not started laying yet and I wonder if I am doing something wrong? Two of my hens are only 4 months old but the others I just bought and are supposedly a year old and they haven't laid an egg sense coming either... Am I doing something wrong??? Help!

Welcome to BYC. 4 months is a bit early for most breeds to start. The hens that you just bought will take a while to adapt to their new home before initiating egg laying. What breeds do you have - that is a factor in onset of egg laying.

welcome-byc.gif

When did you get your birds?
Any chance the older birds are molting and/or still adjusting to their new surroundings? Both factors can certainly impact egg laying.
With some birds old enough to lay, and others not laying yet, what type of feed(s) are you using?

welcome-byc.gif

Sourland and Trailrider make some good points...there are a lot of factors involved in when chickens lay. The easiest answer is "when they are good and ready to"!
big_smile.png

I don't know what breeds they are... Do you know how long about it takes to start laying again after a new big change?

Back
Top Bottom