1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens and new to the forum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purplepozy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. purplepozy

purplepozy New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    And I already have a question. we picked up our chickens last night. They are two days old and they looked fine on the 30 minute drive back to the house with the car blazing hot ( I thought I was going to melt) but when we got home there was one that was laying sideways and didn't move much. Didn't look ill but didn't stay with the other 11. She has only gotten worse as the night/day progress. Have the water/food/temp things the way they told us to do and have been dipping her beak in water so she gets some. But at this point she is now completely laying down and the others walk all over her; she doesn't move out of the way or anything. I have yet to see her drink or eat. I took her out and put her in her own box with food and water so they would quit walking over her but that doesn't seem to have helped much. Off and on through out the day she will seem better for a couple minutes and I think okay she's going to make it and then she is back down. Suggestions? Or should I just plan on a couple of them not making it and quit stressing about it?

2. RooManRed

RooManRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Albany Ga.
    [​IMG] sorry about your chick. I'm not sure what could be wrong. Sometimes it happens. sorry

3. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Just keep her warm and keep dipping her beek in a little sugar water and hope for the best.

4. purplepozy

purplepozy New Egg

Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks folks! You were super fast. I figured some wouldn't make it but I always hope for the best. I will keep on as we are doing. Have a great day!

5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your chick. Did you show her where the food and water was. I remember we got our day olds ew had to show a couple. I had read somewhere to gently give them a nudge so they knew what the stuff was., I don't know if this advice helps. Someone on here much more knowledgeable than I am will answer you soon. Its a great forum.

6. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Those things will happen. Just the survival of the fittest.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to chickens too, so I'm no expert, but I'll tell you my experience...

I had 2 chicks that didn't look well....one couldn't walk right and had problems eating and drinking. I did everything I could think of to help him, but he didn't make it. He passed away in the middle of the night a few days after I got him.

After that one passed, I noticed another one not acting right. I noticed him laying around alot, either sleeping or just sitting as if he was in a daze. He refused to eat or drink, so I gave him some Poly Vi Sol vitamins in his beak. I offered him some hard boiled egg yolk but he refused. I gave him drops of water in his beak. I completely expected to wake up to another dead chickie, but amazingly enough he was eating and drinking the next morning! I was shocked...so I gave him more vitamins and egg yolk and he ate it [​IMG] He was a little "off" for a couple days, and he's a little bit smaller than the other chicks...but otherwise he's completely healthy and happy now.

So....I have no idea of your little one will make it or not, but the things to try are: a little bit of sugar in her water, or electrolytes/vitamins in her water (I got some at the feed store), or Poly Vi Sol vitamins (baby vitamins from Walmart or any store, NO IRON). Also, crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk is good for them. I've heard yogurt is good for them, but mine won't touch it...LOL.

Also, make sure she does not have pasty-butt! If she has dried-on poop blocking the vent, she will not be able to poop and it will kill her. Wash it off and make sure she is dry and warm.

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    all above was sound advice,
    and for the pasty butt
    baby wipes does the trick.
    and Welcome to Byc.

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

10. turney31