New to Chickens and this group - from Texas

Hello Linnre! Welcome to BYC!
You should probably do some research before deciding what chicks to get, but I'll give you my experiences with them real fast.
Have never kept Black copper Marans or Cream Legbars.
Ameracuanas will give you blue eggs, their cousin Ollivegers will give you green. Both breeds are shy in my experience, buy lay fairly regularly and are docile. I've never had a mean Easter Egger.
Wyandottes are gorgeous, and there's a huge variety to choose from. I've had gold wyandottes as well as silver, and they seem to have a sweet disposition and lay fairly regularly. I'm raising two more silvers right now, and own several mutts with a Silver Wyandotte mother.
I've kept Lavender and Buff Orpingtons, and both are some of the sweetest breeds ever. They generally don't come sexed, so you'll have to deal with the possibility of roosters, same as the other breeds, but the orpington roosters I've kept have all been very aggressive and I was forced to get rid of them for my hens and family's safety. The hens are wonderful though.
I'm sure you'll love whatever breed you get. :D
I’ve actually obsessively been reading about the different breeds for a couple of months now. You’ve got me wanting the Orpington! I wish I could get all 5 of these but I can’t. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Welcome to BYC.

From experience, the only breed you mention that I've owned is the SLW. Small, flightly birds, moederately late to lay (around 6 months for mine), lay about 3 days of 5, mostly medium to sometimes medium large eggs with a slightly pinkish cast in certain light (how I tell their eggs from the dark brahma eggs, which are otehrwise almost exactly the same color of tea stained milk). Mine are energetic and VERY predator aware. I would not consider them well suited to confinement. Somewhat heat tolerant, but cold hearty.
Thank you for the great descriptions!

Well, who says you can't one of each? :D
Silvara.jpg
Here's my only orpington.
I’ve actually obsessively been reading about the different breeds for a couple of months now. You’ve got me wanting the Orpington! I wish I could get all 5 of these but I can’t. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hello, welcome to BYC. I haven't found that orpingtons are bullied. I'd suggest:
Cream Legbar small, sweet natured, lay blue eggs
Welsummer small to medium, sweet natured, lay dark reddish eggs with spots
Or Black Copper Marans sweet, medium to large, dark brown eggs (they do get lighter during the season.
Olive egger a mixed breed, usually good natured, olive eggs
Easter egger small to medium mixed breed, usually sweet, blue, green ( or occasionally)tinted eggs
Orpington sweet, medium to large, pinkish brown eggs

Back
Top Bottom