1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens and this type of website.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hahnrooster, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Hahnrooster

Hahnrooster New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    No chickens yet. Just built the coop and was looking for info on painting it and found this nice site. Happy I found it but bummed I need to raise the coop now that I read about the minks. I had no idea they were bloodsuckers. Better to find out now than to have my kids find out in the morning! Looking forward to being part of the group.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Hi and welcome to BYC :)

There are quite a few people who wish they had found such things out before they got chickens instead of after. Glad you joined in.

3. Hahnrooster

Hahnrooster New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks
    I live right next to a river and 4000 acres of preserved land so I need to be very careful about the predators and I plan to be but I was not thinking about minks. I was more worried about raccoons and fox. I also have snakes around. Hope I can keep my girls safe. At least 3 of my neighbors have chickens and they seem to be fine so maybe I am being over protective. This is my nature anyway so I will go with it[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. I would also suggest using 1/2" hardware cloth in your coop or run. Predators cannot, slash and bite thru it like flimsy chicken wire. It will last much longer, and is a much better defense as long as it is securely fastened to framework - not held on by plastic ties.

5. Hahnrooster

Hahnrooster New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks for the tip
    I bought an online cool for starters and they used the 1/2 inch wire fencing. It seems very strong and it is secured fairly well but I plan to reinforce it anyway. I am more concerned about the "doors". They have decent latches on them but I am not sure. I will have to do my best and hope it works out.
    What about "active" predator protection like lights or auto water sprayers or something like that. I know some people who use this type to keep deer away.

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It seems like you are doing fine so far - as you say - its better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to predators!

Best wishes
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by