New to chickens, assistance needed in picking breed

Quote:
Cowgirl,

Thanks for all the info about the chickens!
I believe that your pics were the ones my mom fell in love with. Your pics actually made me research the BO roo instead of the RIR roo. I like the temperament of the BO roo and that they may crow a bit less than the RIR.

Now it's time to look through all the stickies on raising the chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio.

I have had both RIR and Golden Comets. The GCs are much nicer in my opinion and much gentler, not as aggressive with the other hens as the RIRs were. I will not be buying RIRs ever again. GCs have been laying all winter, most days an egg a day from them, while you can't go wrong with the BAs either. When I got back into keeping chickens, I had to have some RIRs because those were what we had at home back on the farm in the '50's. A person forgets things from that far back. It didn't take me long to learn my mistake. The barred rocks and buffs are much better choices than worrying about production of the RIRs. After all, part of having a small flock of birds around is having them gentle towards each other and friendly to you.

Quote:
Your welcome!
smile.png

Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons are all excellent breeds. They are my three favorites of the breeds I've had, plus Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas, which I love for the blue and green eggs, colorful plumage, and the cute muff/beard. I'll be getting a few Australorps because I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm also getting some Rhode Island Whites to make red sexlink chicks. I'm also hoping to try a few California Whites just for dependable high egg production. These are the breeds I'm getting!
smile.png

Thanks for all your suggestions on the breed. My honey's heart is set on those 'frisky' RIR's as he had them growing up. He is completely ok with having them on the supper table if they become 'too frisky' or just plain mean. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, right?

Currently, I've been searching the site regarding roosts, after many hours and now a ton of ideas, I am still needing help. With my 3 breeds, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons, I know I will need some tall roosts for the RIR and PBR, but lower roosts for the Buff Orpingtons.

How high should my roost be for my Buff Orpingtons? I'm thinking to start above the pop door and have a ladder that starts 24 inches from the floor (for the Orphs to get to easily). Then do 2x4's on the flat side spaced 12" vertically and 12" horizontally extending up the wall above the pop door.

Does anyone have any pics of ladder roosts that start higher instead of on the floor? I'm trying to figure out my spacing but can't seem to picture it.

Last edited:
I have a kind of ladder roost that goes in like step style from around 12-36" on the back wall of my 8x10 coop, the 8' end. I go in at night many times, just to check one last time on my birds (I have 15). They will usually all be on the highest roost, even the pullets will be up there with the older hens. They jump from the 12" roost up to the next and then to the top. That is, they all just like the top and there is just room for that many birds up there.

Sorry to hear you are going with RIRs
barnie.gif
The ones I had to have, just because those were what we had when I grew up, were very mean to each other and to the other breeds I had at the time. They would relentlessly peck the tail feathers out of the other birds. I know roosters can be hard on the back feathers of hens, but they do that for another reason, not to be mean like the RIRs. Golden Comets look almost like RIRs but are so much more gentle with each other.
old.gif
Well the RIRs are a duel purpose bird, so if your's turn out like mine did, they do taste just like chicken...
gig.gif

Have fun with your new addiction,
hugs.gif
luck with those ornery RIRs, they need lots of space. Maybe the BRs will keep them in line. You should also think about throwing in a few EEs just for some colorful eggs. I have 4 EEs laying now and even though the GCs are my wife's favorite layers, I just like the verity of the EEs in colorful hens and colorful eggs.

Just wanted to add that though RIRs are known to be aggressive, my RIRs from McMurray are very docile. I've so far had 22 roosters and 24 hens and everyone of them has been docile. I bought the roos for meat and butchered them all at eight months (way to late I later learned
roll.png
), except for two I kept for breeding, which I still have. None of them EVER threatened to attack me, AT ALL. I actually made pets out of two of them, and a few of the hens too. If I could only have one breed, this would be it.
I'll get off my soap box now...
hide.gif

As far as your question about roosts, what I have is a step ladder type of roost. I made it from small trees in the woods, each about two inches in diameter. The first roost is 18" from the ground, then next one is 12" higher, the next 12" higher, the next 12" higher, and so on. Looking straight down from the ceiling, there is also a 12" space between each of them, to keep the hens from pooing on each other. Please feel free to let me know if I need to clarify something!
smile.png
I do notice that in my mixed flock the Buff Orps tend to be lower on the roosts, but there are a couple on the very top roost.

I did a lot of research before ordering our chicks, and although I don't have firsthand experience here with adult chickens, we decided on Australorps for friendliness and egg production (and Cochins for cuddly pets). Our 4 month old 'lorps are loaded with personality and are very kind and curious. I have seen reports that the 'lorps do not go broody as often as the Buff Orpingtons, which was a plus (as our Cochins will be apparently broody forever...).

Back
Top Bottom