New to chickens, assistance needed in picking breed

Redley

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Golden, CO
Moving into a new home in Golden, CO. We are turning a large divided dog house/shed with completely enclosed run into a chicken coop. I am looking to get about 12-16 chickens, these will be my first. I prefer brown eggs. I am defiantly getting Barred Plymouth Rocks for their personality and egg production and I'm pretty sure we'll do the Rhode Island Reds for the production (I understand they can be a bit bossier than the rocks).

My question - I'm not sure which to add to these guys, either Buff Orpingtons or Buff Plymouth Rocks. I can't seem to find much information on Buff Rocks, can find a ton of info on the Barred Rocks. Any thoughts/advice from more experienced chicken folk is greatly appreciated regarding which of the Buffs to get?

welcome-byc.gif

I'm new, too. I ordered Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have *zero* bird experience, but these three seemed like a good start for me. Buff Orps were my fourth on my list.

I'm fairly new to this, too, but we've got a Buff Orpington in with our BPR's and RIR's (and others
roll.png
). She's beautiful and fluffy, but not as friendly as I expected. We also have light Bramas. They're very pretty, with sweet dispositions, but haven't started laying yet.

I love my buff orps and my neighbor really likes his but I have had other people tell me they don't have much luck with their laying ability. I would think a Buff rock wouldn't be much different than a barred rock but not sure. I have great luck with my barred rocks also. I like Rhode Island reds and this is my first year with the Wyandottes so it remains to be seen. I think most of it just depends on the person.

Typicallly the Buff Orps would be friendlier and tamer than Barred Rock or, especially, Rhode Island Red. My friendliest are Black Australorp, BO and Speckled Sussex. But it's an individual thing, not just a breed thing. All will lay well; my SS lay a little less, the BA the best. Personally I would stay away from the RIR; hatchery quality tend to be mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of have to agree with ddawn, at least about the Aussies. Our Black Australorp lays an egg everyday faithfully, and she's friendly as all get out. Our Rhode Island Red is fiesty as hell, but she lays an egg a day as well, so we are keeping her around for a while
smile.png
But, I'd recommend the black australorps or the buff orpingtons, give it some different color
smile.png

ETA: Almost forgot!
welcome-byc.gif
and don't forget to say hi on the colorado thread!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,
I think I have made my decision.
I'll have a bit of each.
5 rhode island red, 5 barred plymouth rocks, 5 buff orpingtons (+ 1 BO roo)
If my BOs get broody, I'll have them hatch out some BO & RIR crosses that my mom wants. The key will be to seperate the RIRs to get the correct eggs.
I should be able to tell when they hatch what I have regardless.
smile.png

Buff Rocks aren't terribly common but some asking and probing on here should reveal some if you have your heart set on them. They are a little smaller than Barred Rocks.

Barred Rocks are a great starter breed. Good layers, big enough to eat, laid back and pretty colors.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Buff Orpington x Rhode Island Red will make beautiful birds... Dark gold with a black or green tail. Here's a pic of my BO x RIR hen, Goldilocks:
48412_liesls_pics_752.jpg

Buff Orpington x Barred Rock will make sexlink chicks. Males will be barred, and females will be gorgeous! Here's a few pics of mine...
48412_liesls_pics_575.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_585.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_602.jpg

It is rather hard to find a good laying strain of Buff Orpingtons. Ideal's and Cackle's Buff Orps are not very good layers, better for meat. McMurray, IMHO, has the best strain of Buff Orps. They are excellent fall, winter, and spring layers of big brown eggs; and then go broody in the summer and make excellent moms.

McMurray, IMHO, also has the best production strain of Rhode Island Reds. They are my best layers in the coop. They'll be playing a major role in my future breeding program. The hens and roosters are docile.

I'm in no way affiliated with McMurray, BTW!
lol.png
Just one satisfied customer.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom