New to chickens. Breed and possible sex

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
So I am completely new to chickens. We got ours at the local feed store on Sunday (June 11th). They had received them 2 weeks prior, so I am guessing they are about 3 weeks old now. I know it's still a bit young to determine sex, especially since this one doesn't seem to have much in the way of comb, and wattle is nonexistent. Though if you wanna take a guess, I wont be upset! Which is why I included detailed pics. Sorry for the blur factor on some, this little bugger does NOT like to be held. He/she's a feisty fellow, and definitely seems to be highest on the pecking order, so I'm almost thinking we have a boy.

Mostly, I'm a little confused on the breed. They claimed to be Black Jersey Giants (I got 2 of them), and one is 95% black. But from what I can see in my research, no giants are black and white like this. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though lol Anyway, I'm eager to learn all I can. TIA IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0512.jpg IMG_0513.jpg IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0525.jpg IMG_0533.jpg

Can you help me? I don't know how to post?! Lol what do you click on to post a new thread? I've been trying to figure out for awhile... thank you!

Go to whatever Forum you want (this is the "what breed or gender is it") and on the top it says "post new thread." Click on that. If you want to post photos, you have to drop them into the post...at least on the computer. I don't know on a phone, because I haven't used this site on a phone.

Could someone help me try and determine sex of our very cute sugarbear
She's definitely a fight picker as pictures to show but after doing some research on ee she's starting to look like a male. She's around 6/7weeks old

Attachments

• IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    774.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4022.JPG
    976.5 KB · Views: 6
yep cockerel
Thank you!
We have noticed which you can now see in pictures these deep orange/red patches and that comb as I was doing research screamed cockerel but I was like maybe I'm overthinking things! But that comb seems to get bigger and redder by the day! And the tail just seemed to different than the pullet pictures I had seen.

This is the one we have who likes to battle the above one for pecking order. They say she/he is a Red Star. Also about 3 weeks. Is it true they are faster developers in general? I know they lay earlier, but I was a little concerned by the comb and wattle development lol
IMG_0518.jpg IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0523.jpg IMG_0524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom