New to chickens, but should I show mine?

blizzardxblue

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
Hi! I wanted to show a chicken through the agriculture program in my school, and so I bought two. The only problem is though that they are Easter Eggers, which are a mixed breed. If I was disqualified because my chickens did not meet breed standards, yet could still participate in the showmanship competition and skills test afterwards regardless, would it be alright to do so?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know anything about showing chickens. However you might stop by our Exhibition forums for more help with this. Ask this same question there and hopefully someone can give you more info.....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

Good luck with your shows and flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Showing chickens has pros and cons. It can be rewarding and downright horrible.

The good things is obviously the experience for you and your bird. Plus you have to potential of winning contests and meeting new chicken owners. And they HAVE to be tame so that makes it fun for raising. The worst part is that your birds will probably get sick. This is almost unavoidable. There is lots of disease at poultry shows and contests and bringing your birds to it is a welcoming for sickness. Additionally you have to watch how much and what your chickens eat, you have to monitor everything about them and you have to raise them a specific way.

The decision is yours. Whichever you choose, good luck!

Since the Agriculture program is through your school, they should be able to answer your questions. I would think you could participate in showmanship classes but, you need to know the regulations for this group.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you are permitted to show hybrids in your agricultural program and you want to show them, by all means show your Easter Eggers. Even if they are not eligible to win any awards, they are likely beautiful birds and may stimulate an interest in chickens in general for others and EEs in particular. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in entering your EEs.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I don't know what it is like where you are, but in my county, you can show crossbred birds like Easter Eggers. They go in the "Any Other Crossbred Egg Type" class. Other states/counties/shows don't have this class, however. They may have variations, like a "yearling hen" class or a production class. If you go to an APA or ABA sanctioned show or a real poultry show, you won't be able to show these birds- they'll get DQed.

Back
Top Bottom