new to chickens, chickens and even more chickens

wild things

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
hi, i'm new to chickens and I was planning( determined ) on getting chickens for the backyard. However, i'm having trouble selecting
a breed. I was thinking of getting 5 to start out with, maybe a silkie, buff orphington, easter egger, black copper marans? do
you have any suggestion for a beginner like me? I want chickens who are gentle not too flighty and peaceful.
thanks, wild things

welcome-byc.gif
do you want layers, meat birds, eye candy, or plan to hatch chicks. The breeds you picked are very nice. Cochins are another great breed - some of the breeds you mentioned are also available as bantam size. The eggs aren't as large but, they take up(need) less room, less feed, etc. if that is a consideration for you.

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys! :) I'm looking forward to many years of being a chicken mom around the cluck!

We are new to chickens this spring. We started with 6 golden laced wyandottes. They are a good dual breed (eggs and meat). I love them. Very gentle and sweet birds!

I've had my chickens for a year now, and we're pretty happy with the choices we made. The family's favorite hen is the barred rock...she's friendly, curious, and a great layer. The Easter eggers are fun and friendly, too, and more prolific layers than anything I read would indicate. Our wyandotte is a bit stand-offish, but she's gorgeous. She mostly stands around looking grand. The buckeye is a fabulous red color, and she's the flock guardian, chasing off cats and crows. Our buff orpington is friendly and low-key, and the brahma is big, white, and lovely.

For the record, I'm really glad I got a mixed flock. They're pretty out on the lawn, I can tell at a distance who's where at any given time, and the subtle differences in the egg colors make my cartons pretty.

Happy hunting! Choosing chickies is an awful lot of fun.

--Nikki

Back
Top Bottom