new to chickens - chix questions

jrabbit

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
so, we've got chickens now!!! hooray! we live in Houston, in an urban neighborhood (no deed restrictions, but some city rules, which aren't a problem). we have a good size coop, and eventually will let our 3 hens roam around more in the yard. (more questions about that later)

anyway, we are now babysitting/raising 7 baby chix for a friend (because i have young children and no dogs) - they are soooooo cute. we're guessing that they're about 3 weeks old now. she got them about 10 days ago from a local feed store - do you think that is an accurate guess?

we've had a cold spell, so we brought them inside in a pet carrier 2 days ago. we don't have a light on them. the house temperature is in the upper 60's during the day, but definitely colder at night. (outside, even in the garage is in the 40's) the carrier is full of hay, and they have grower food & water.

is it possible for them to get too stressed with my kids holding them? they're very used to animals already (we have pet rabbits, cats, chinchillas & rats), and they are careful, but i am worried that we could hold them too much?

i'll get some pictures up soon. love byc!!

--janis,etc

Nah, kids won't stress them if as you say they're gentle and like them. It'll only make them more tame and used to people.

It sounds like it may be a little cool for them... at 3 weeks they should be kept pretty warm at night, but if they have a draft free place to huddle together, maybe they're ok. If they're looking good, go with it! It'll probably make them feather out quicker and make them tougher actually. Not saying it's best, but if that's what you have and they're thriving, who are we to say?

I agree - let the kids gently handle them while you are there to supervise it. The more you handle them, the better your chances are that they will be relatively friendly chickens.

As for the age - it's really hard to know how old they were when you got them. You may want to ask the feed store about that.

I think it's a great experience for children to be around baby animals and learn how to treat them.

Enjoy those babies!!

Penny

I hear you about the cold snap my babies are in the kitchen right now. they sound like they are to cold 80-85 is best right now.

As for holding them as long as you do it gentley and on a limited basis then they should be OK.

ok - i found a way to rig up a light (we actually possess no lamps and even worse, all our light bulbs are cfl, which generate no heat) - i dug around in our garage and found an old old work light that actually still works, and an old old 67 watt light bulb. dh says there might be a higher wattage flood light somewhere to be found.

here they are: http://philhyde.smugmug.com/gallery/6630139_t9J2s#492104811_Avmuo

thanks
, y'all.

My chicks became so used to me and my kids holding them when they were younger, that now at 5 months old, when I walk out the back door they come up and huddle around my ankles and I have one that comes up and sits on my feet and rubs my ankles. I love having them! SO yes, handle them gently as often as you can!

we found a 100 watt bulb last night. today, i have the tote set up in front of a window (light still on).

they grew overnight again!

we are on our way to the feed store for more food and DE for our hens. do you suggest DE for the babies at all?

thanks!
--janis

Back
Top Bottom