New to chickens - family members with flu like symptoms - in need of some opinions!

JessWebb

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
We brought our three hens home two days ago and set them up in a new coop/run. My whole family has been in and out of the coop feeding and handling the hens. This morning my daughter and my husband are sick with flu like symptoms. I did make sure to wash both of my kids hands after being in and out of the run and also had them change from "chicken" shoes into other shoes. Does this sound like a coincidence or should I be concerned that my hens have passed something such as salmonella to my family??

I would suppose it is possible. But hopefully your daughter and your husband are healthy and they will be able to tough it out. Just make sure they both stay well hydrated and if it gets to bad I would seek medical attention.

Do chickens exhibit symptoms of salmonella? Or are they just carriers? Should I be talking to the lady who I got the hens from to see if there has been any history of salmonella on her farm?

Diseases which can spread from animals to humans are called zoonotic diseases. There are a number of them associated with poultry. The most common one with flu-like symptoms is histoplasmosis, which is a fungus which can live in droppings and contaminated soil. However, it's typically 3-17 days after exposure that symptoms occur, so it's not likely in your case unless they were around chickens before - even less of a chance with a new coop and run. Salmonella isn't likely as long as you've been practicing good hygiene, and since you've done that, you should be fine.

ETA: Salmonella's symptoms are primary in the GI tract - if they're not experiencing vomiting, diarrhea and severe abdominal cramps, it's almost certainly not salmonella.

Last edited:
As Bonster stated salmonella only affects the GI tract. I am not sure where you are located but I do know several kids in my daughter's grade were out sick from school 7-10 days ago with flu like symptoms and I am in MA.

Thank you everyone! I am in Alberta, Canada! The more I have pondered this, I have come to the conclusion it is food poisoning from a restaurant where my daughter and husband shared a meal. That is why they are sick and my son and myself are not! Yay! Glad my girls are not to blame! I have put a hand sanitizer right outside the coop door now so with that and handwashing we should be good! At least this made me a little more conscious of sanitation with my backyard flock! Thank you everyone for all of the information and advice! My family is already starting to feel better after a day of rest : )

Thank you everyone! I am in Alberta, Canada! The more I have pondered this, I have come to the conclusion it is food poisoning from a restaurant where my daughter and husband shared a meal. That is why they are sick and my son and myself are not! Yay! Glad my girls are not to blame! I have put a hand sanitizer right outside the coop door now so with that and handwashing we should be good! At least this made me a little more conscious of sanitation with my backyard flock! Thank you everyone for all of the information and advice! My family is already starting to feel better after a day of rest : )
clap.gif
Glad you figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom