New to chickens- have a few random questions

colobirds

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I just started my first flock of laying hens in Feb. as a group project/ team building exercise at work for my employees (I manage an animal feed manufacturing mill). The chicken idea took off and we now have 8 pullets that receive attention from the entire crew on a daily basis. We are already talking about birds to get in the future for the coop that we built. My questions:

We are interested in a few less common breeds- is there really any feasible way to get my hands on a white faced black spanish line that is above hatchery quality in Colorado?

We all like the idea of heritage and quality bred birds- is there a particular breed that would be suitable for building an egg laying flock out of heritage birds that would be reasonably easy to obtain? ( I am thinking like heritage RIR or something similar that wouldn't be impossible to find)

Final question- What breed is this??? I like the looks of her but cant seem to figure out what she is.

Thanks y'all!

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I just started my first flock of laying hens in Feb. as a group project/ team building exercise at work for my employees (I manage an animal feed manufacturing mill). The chicken idea took off and we now have 8 pullets that receive attention from the entire crew on a daily basis. We are already talking about birds to get in the future for the coop that we built. My questions: We are interested in a few less common breeds- is there really any feasible way to get my hands on a white faced black spanish line that is above hatchery quality in Colorado? We all like the idea of heritage and quality bred birds- is there a particular breed that would be suitable for building an egg laying flock out of heritage birds that would be reasonably easy to obtain? ( I am thinking like heritage RIR or something similar that wouldn't be impossible to find) Final question- What breed is this??? I like the looks of her but cant seem to figure out what she is. Thanks y'all!
Hello and :wwelcome. There's a person on here that breeds White Faced Black Spanish and I believe she ships. Her name here is SallySunshine and her site is https://www.facebook.com/SallySunsh...827.1459714150915655/1499289470291456/?type=1. If you don't want shipped birds you could talk to her and see if she knows of people in your area. You can also go to the forum tab, go to social and the click on where am I, where are you? Then find the state you live in. Here is the link, hope it works for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Have you considered hatching eggs to get good quality birds (if you don't want to ship chicks or older birds)? There are a lot of hatching eggs, some from show stock in the BYC Buy-Sell-Trade forum. Many other breeders will ship eggs also, you maybe able to find a breeder in one of the breed threads the long Heritage Breed thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii and
ie the WFBS one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/527029/white-faced-black-spanish-enthusiasts-come-hither
There are also some smaller hatcheries that have a large selection of breeds that ship chicks, some of them have decent quality birds, often better than the large commercial hatcheries, Sand Hill ie
Is the little hen shortlegged? She looks a lot like a Japanese bantam.
You could post her picture in the What Breed Or Gender Is This forum for help figuring out what she is www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

images

Welcome to BYC!

Wow, that is a very pretty bird! I have no idea of the breed, so you might follow the link that Kelsie has provided to our What Breed section here on BYC. As for finding the White Faced Black Spanish, I would follow the link to Sally Sunshines profile that Basskids has left the link for. She is a great gal that will be very happy to help you.

Good luck with all your projects and welcome to our flock!

Thank you everyone! Still no ideas on the gal in the picture above? She is really cool and I want one!

Hi everybody i have a queston. I grew up with chicks my whole life but my step dad always made shure that he had everything for them i just went out and got 7 meats 4 layers and 3 turkeys their bout 4 weeks old and i ran out of chick starter and ik that their to young to eat corn but i was wondering if i could use some household food to feed them till i get paid on the 1st

Hi everybody i have a queston. I grew up with chicks my whole life but my step dad always made shure that he had everything for them i just went out and got 7 meats 4 layers and 3 turkeys their bout 4 weeks old and i ran out of chick starter and ik that their to young to eat corn but i was wondering if i could use some household food to feed them till i get paid on the 1st
images

Welcome to BYC!

To be honest with you, they really do need to eat their starter feed. Are you feeding the turkeys gamebird food? They need high protein to grow properly, much higher than regular chicken chick starter. The meaties need higher protein than the layers as chicks as well. Each of these species has different feed requirements. I am not sure what to tell you here. You might want to ask this question in our raising chicks forums for more help with this....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck with this and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom